Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
6AD9BE66-D8BC-4F80-8DFE-670B5BD2311A.jpeg
A1AD2198-852E-4DAF-92F1-AC2C2F75E19A.jpeg
5A72F4D8-E507-467F-B01F-D1EF7E8E55C9.jpeg
6AD9BE66-D8BC-4F80-8DFE-670B5BD2311A.jpeg
A1AD2198-852E-4DAF-92F1-AC2C2F75E19A.jpeg
5A72F4D8-E507-467F-B01F-D1EF7E8E55C9.jpeg
I added two new silver laced polish hen and roo to my flock over the weekend. I have them in their own coop for the time being just to be sure. I got them from a local girl who breeds and has wonderful chickens!! She said that they are right about a year old.

I went out yesterday and both Elvis and Izzy have yellow diarrhea?!?

Are they sick with something??? Can it be the change in their diet? They get organic crumble feed here that they are LOVING and lots of greens and mealworms. I’m very nervous that they could be sick with something that could affect my other 2 hens and their baby chicks???!

I have the newcomers on vitamins, probiotics and ACV since they have been here as well.

Suggestions or thoughts?!

Most likely the stress of moving and change in diet and being exposed to different strains of things like coccidiosis has made them sick.
I think for now cut out the mealworms from the diet because I've heard they can make smelly poos. Also giving probiotics at the same time as ACV isn't recommended because the ACV washes all the good and bad bacteria out making the probiotics ineffective

Most likely the stress of moving and change in diet and being exposed to different strains of things like coccidiosis has made them sick.
I think for now cut out the mealworms from the diet because I've heard they can make smelly poos. Also giving probiotics at the same time as ACV isn't recommended because the ACV washes all the good and bad bacteria out making the probiotics ineffective
Thanks for this info! They wouldn’t have been exposed to coccidiosis since being here, I’ve never had any problems with my hens. I contacted the girl that sold them to me and she said they were fine so she also thinks it would be a change in diet. What is a good probiotic to give them?!

Thanks for this info! They wouldn’t have been exposed to coccidiosis since being here, I’ve never had any problems with my hens. I contacted the girl that sold them to me and she said they were fine so she also thinks it would be a change in diet. What is a good probiotic to give them?!
I just buy a poultry probiotic powder from the local pet supply store. I put it in the water when the chooks aren't looking too good and I can really see the difference the next day.
Literally any sort for poultry works well :)

I just buy a poultry probiotic powder from the local pet supply store. I put it in the water when the chooks aren't looking too good and I can really see the difference the next day.
Literally any sort for poultry works well :)

Great! All looks well with them now since I did those things. But maybe you can help with another thing... this same hen has a rasp in her breathing?? She eats tons, bathroom habits are totally normal and she is laying eggs, chasing bugs, etc. I kept her separate from others for almost 4 weeks so I let them all out together today. Just wondering if it could just be her quirk since she is newer to me or if there is something else possibly with her. But since she acts great I haven’t really been too concerned. Thanks for any help!

Great! All looks well with them now since I did those things. But maybe you can help with another thing... this same hen has a rasp in her breathing?? She eats tons, bathroom habits are totally normal and she is laying eggs, chasing bugs, etc. I kept her separate from others for almost 4 weeks so I let them all out together today. Just wondering if it could just be her quirk since she is newer to me or if there is something else possibly with her. But since she acts great I haven’t really been too concerned. Thanks for any help!
Hmm is it just the rasp and no discharge from the nose or anything?
I have a rooster who is a gobble guts and eats too fast, he's always rasping as he eats. It's quite likely just her quirk if she's been doing it for so long and no other symptoms :)

Hmm is it just the rasp and no discharge from the nose or anything?
I have a rooster who is a gobble guts and eats too fast, he's always rasping as he eats. It's quite likely just her quirk if she's been doing it for so long and no other symptoms :)
Well I’ve noticed some nose crust sometimes (not all the time) like maybe she sneezes but I’ve never heard her?? I’ve had her for almost 4 weeks and all else with her is fine. She is quite small as well so I’m working on fattening her up. Just get that worried feeling sometimes that what if she is sick and effects others but she just acts perfectly fine

Back
Top Bottom