Yellow poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by medlgr, Mar 30, 2015.

1. medlgr

medlgr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Hey folks,
    Just a quick one.
    I've a Rhode Island Red that seems under the weather. Shes the only on in the group (of 4) that has developed Yellow poop. It looks all kinda Diarrhea like. She was still running about, eating, foraging, bathing etc as normal. When i pick her up she feels fine, no mites etc, no puffy chest, good red wattle and bright eyes, so i wasn't to worried and hoped it would pass, but today she hasnt been out of the coop. She lay on the floor, still eating and drinking but just all lethargic like.

I will get some Verm-X tomorrow to chase off any worms etc but has anybody had this before? Is there something more specific i should look out for?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Pics please?

3. medlgr

Oct 18, 2014
    of the poop!?

Its night time now and i dont have any:(

She's up on the roost sleeping...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    At least, and hen also if possible.

5. medlgr

Oct 18, 2014
    will get photos as soon as i can, but wont be untill tomorrow because its 20:30 here.

6. medlgr

Oct 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is her poop. It's not as watery today, day number 2 of treatment with Verm-X.
    [​IMG]
    Her wattle is slightly discoloured, but i expect that if she's fighting something off.
    [​IMG]
    She is alot more spritely today, almost back to her old self except for the discolouration n poop. My guess is that it's cociliolis (or however you spell it) I just hope she's getting better.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That does look a lot like coccidiosis poop. See if you can find something with amprolium in it... In the US and Canada we use Corid or Amprol. Other options are Baycox and sulfa drugs.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Where do you live?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. medlgr

Oct 18, 2014
    Hey Kathy.
    We're in scotland.
    Unfortunatly most medication here requires a prescription from a vet. All the local practices to me are horse and cow or cat n dog type establishments with little in the way of poultry/aviary knowledge.
    Did spy some stuff called coroid coroid?? It's for coccidiosis in racing pigeons. (still a big thing over here)
    Her poop through the course of today has went from yellowish foam to a light yellow colour (color) and kinda gritty in texture. She came running out for her daily afternoon treat but then headed back inside when she was finnished.

9. medlgr

Oct 18, 2014
    Just looked at that amprolium medicine and they say not to administer to poultry kept for human consumption (meat or egg)?

10. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Corid is fine to give your birds and has no withdrawal period where you must discard eggs. Over here, we've got the FDA that says some pretty hinky things. Just ignore the label and follow the dosing instructions in the signature of Casportpony's post. :)

I've heard foamy, yellow poops can also be indicative of worms..... and, more specifically, cecal worms. Am I totally way off?

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by