Yellow scovie caruncle - problem?

Henrik Petersson

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Karlskrona, Sweden
A caruncle in the face of my oh so handsome muscovy drake has turned yellowish. It's been like this for a while. Is it a problem? Could it be frostbite? He's been sleeping outside in freezing temperatures all winter.

It's the blob right over his nares:

Thanks!

So, just to be sure... It doesn't damage him and he can keep sleeping outside when it's cold?
I don't leave mine outside at night but even during the day in winter with them sticking their heads down into a bucket and the frigid temps hitting their flesh is a prime target for frost bite. It's been at least 3 yrs since my drake got frost bite the first time and so far other than the flesh being a different color like yours he is fine. You can put vaseline on the area and that may protect it from getting any worse.

Oh, okay!

I wouldn't wanna coop mine up during the day, so other than the vaseline, it's not much to do, I suppose.
Not really, I think the same would happen to us with our flesh if we were outside constantly during the day and sticking our hands in water and exposing them to frigid temps or just exposing our flesh to frigid temp even with out the water. My Scovy's always have access to their houses during the day but prefer to be outside only when it gets into single digits do I make them go in early afternoon. Give them places to hunker down to keep out of the wind.

Back
Top Bottom