Yellow "Slime-like" Poops, Lethargic, Pale Pullet

Lalachickens

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Hi All,

I have a pullet, Roe, who we hatched from our own eggs this past summer. She's 6 months old, mixed Blue/Golden Laced Wyandotte.

I have been noticing some vibrant YELLOW slime-like droppings on the board in the mornings for the past few days, and assumed it was due to the fact that I had started giving them some fermented grains. However, I noticed this morning, that Roe had yellow pasty stuff on her butt feathers (which are black so it really stood out), so I realized who the culprit was. All day she was acting quite lethargic, and kept hiding. I went in several times, and always had to look for her, whereas normally, her and her sister are usually the gymnastic greeting committee.

I'm quite worried this is a serious situation. I just went in to make sure she roosted, which she did. But it seemed like her wings were being carried a bit lower, and kind of away from her body. I managed to get a photo.

I will definitely grab a photo of the droppings board tomorrow morning to add a poop pic. I snapped a photo of a TINY poop she did today - milky yellow with a bit of green. I managed to gently feel her chest - there seemed to be a bit of food in her crop, and I felt under her vent a bit - seemed fleshy? Not firm, no hard mass (as in, no egg that was obvious to me).

For water, they always have access to one waterer that has garlic and ACV, then another that is usually either plain, added vitamins, or pre/probiotics - depends on what the older birds need (we had some COLD weather and a few of the older birds were hit hard). As I said, I have been fermenting some grains and seeds (sunflower/split peas/barley/cracked corn/oats), as we have had success in the past with this, and they love it. For feed, they usually eat layer mash. They are in an enclosed run (due to abundance of predators), and a luxurious coop.

She had started laying, and was laying every-other day. But I went back and she hasn't laid in about 4-5 days... which probably lines up with how long I have been noticing these yellow poops. Ugh.

Worried to hear your thoughts.... I'm wondering if she has Egg Yolk Peritonitis, or if she is Egg Bound?? We are quite rural, and vet options are far and $$$ (and extra limited bc of the flu). Appreciate advice.

Terrible poop photo - I promise new ones in the morning...
0C6C1D58-922A-48FD-8FC9-A71B05F7D1EE_1_105_c.jpeg

Downturned tail, wings carried a bit lower, comb pale (the skin around her eyes is ALWAYS white - but the comb and wattles are usually red)
790CF549-E07B-439E-BE7C-C168A4EDA62E_1_105_c.jpeg

It seems like she is holding her wings outwards:
391B29CC-40D7-4EDB-8D63-13F95BDBBEC1_1_105_c.jpeg

Dirty vent - she is usually pristine in this department!
50B76B9D-5012-467F-B2C4-EB892C8FC1DC_1_105_c.jpeg

The only time I know she ate, was when I gave them all some spinach, and I threw some food on the ground, she had a tiny bit. I didn’t see her drink, but I’m not there 💯 of the time.

Hi,
Have you checked her crop, how does it feel? Have you checked for lice/mites, does she have a nasty smell coming from her beak, I would stop everything except for plain water and layers at the minute. When was the last time she was wormed?

@Mrs J crop has a bit of food in it, not hard. No mites/lice. Checked esophagus, nothing visual/no smell. Our last round of worming was in January, due to evidence of ringworm in droppings. Still have that today, but not her droppings as they are pretty easy to identify right now.

@TesoroSena i have been giving them fermented grains and seeds, as detailed in my original post, and layer mash. Water is acv with garlic, second waterer has had vitamins.

Tomorrow we will be doing plain water and just food, for sure.
I check my girls crop of a night, to check it is full, then first thing in the morning before they eat to check it is empty and go from there. If it is empty then you can rule out a crop problem, if there are no mites/lice etc, wormed already I would clean the vent/feathers, feed plain food and water and apply an anti fungal cream (ladies thrush cream (caneston) in the UK, on the vent just to be sure, it could be a yeast infection.

Updated poop photos from overnight, I think hers are just the splats... its a *bit* more yellow in person, but not as yellow as it was the past few days?
668DDFED-1419-43A0-9948-103361192B71_1_105_c.jpeg

D7D3557B-F69D-406D-860B-13AFD90C84FB_1_105_c.jpeg

Again, I don't think the whiter, more solid mass in the middle of the photo below is from this hen, just the yellower splats.
FE0FA90A-117E-4BBF-A9D3-DDCE062EB114_1_105_c.jpeg

We have brought her inside for the day to monitor. Given her food, a few sunflower seeds, and a tiny bit of pet grass. Water has a bit of electrolytes. She is eating, haven't seen her drink, but she's just settling in.

Back
Top Bottom