Yellow "Slime-like" Poops, Lethargic, Pale Pullet

Lalachickens

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Hi All,

I have a pullet, Roe, who we hatched from our own eggs this past summer. She's 6 months old, mixed Blue/Golden Laced Wyandotte.

I have been noticing some vibrant YELLOW slime-like droppings on the board in the mornings for the past few days, and assumed it was due to the fact that I had started giving them some fermented grains. However, I noticed this morning, that Roe had yellow pasty stuff on her butt feathers (which are black so it really stood out), so I realized who the culprit was. All day she was acting quite lethargic, and kept hiding. I went in several times, and always had to look for her, whereas normally, her and her sister are usually the gymnastic greeting committee.

I'm quite worried this is a serious situation. I just went in to make sure she roosted, which she did. But it seemed like her wings were being carried a bit lower, and kind of away from her body. I managed to get a photo.

I will definitely grab a photo of the droppings board tomorrow morning to add a poop pic. I snapped a photo of a TINY poop she did today - milky yellow with a bit of green. I managed to gently feel her chest - there seemed to be a bit of food in her crop, and I felt under her vent a bit - seemed fleshy? Not firm, no hard mass (as in, no egg that was obvious to me).

For water, they always have access to one waterer that has garlic and ACV, then another that is usually either plain, added vitamins, or pre/probiotics - depends on what the older birds need (we had some COLD weather and a few of the older birds were hit hard). As I said, I have been fermenting some grains and seeds (sunflower/split peas/barley/cracked corn/oats), as we have had success in the past with this, and they love it. For feed, they usually eat layer mash. They are in an enclosed run (due to abundance of predators), and a luxurious coop.

She had started laying, and was laying every-other day. But I went back and she hasn't laid in about 4-5 days... which probably lines up with how long I have been noticing these yellow poops. Ugh.

Worried to hear your thoughts.... I'm wondering if she has Egg Yolk Peritonitis, or if she is Egg Bound?? We are quite rural, and vet options are far and $$$ (and extra limited bc of the flu). Appreciate advice.

Terrible poop photo - I promise new ones in the morning...
0C6C1D58-922A-48FD-8FC9-A71B05F7D1EE_1_105_c.jpeg

Downturned tail, wings carried a bit lower, comb pale (the skin around her eyes is ALWAYS white - but the comb and wattles are usually red)
790CF549-E07B-439E-BE7C-C168A4EDA62E_1_105_c.jpeg

It seems like she is holding her wings outwards:
391B29CC-40D7-4EDB-8D63-13F95BDBBEC1_1_105_c.jpeg

Dirty vent - she is usually pristine in this department!
50B76B9D-5012-467F-B2C4-EB892C8FC1DC_1_105_c.jpeg

I didn’t see your post, for some reason, @azygous !

We ended up trying epsom salt flushes, and although she was passing the liquid, she ultimately passed away in the night. My husband opened her crop as we disposed of her this morning, and all of the food she had been offered in the past 4 days, it was all in there still. So it appears there was a blockage further down. So we will never know. But I’m glad she isn’t suffering anymore.

The coincidence with beginning to lay and this suspicious poop points to an egg problem. She needs one of these each day until this resolves in normal eggs again.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Offer plain water and, simple layer feed and grit. It would be best to crate her so you can monitor her carefully as to appetite and water consumption, as well as poop.

She may have an infection. It would be a good idea to try to find an antibiotic. An old people prescription would work. Call pet stores and feed stores and ask what they have.

The only time I know she ate, was when I gave them all some spinach, and I threw some food on the ground, she had a tiny bit. I didn’t see her drink, but I’m not there 💯 of the time.

You can give the electrolytes, but if possible, make fresh plain water available too.

The Calcium tablet, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow.

Corid (Amprolium) is not an antibiotic at all, but it's something good to have on hand.
You can try ordering abx online to see if that might work. We are heading for the same situation here later this year on what meds we'll be able to get.
Thanks @Wyorp Rock, I just ordered some amoxicillin- they will take some time to get here, but in the mean time, we will try to keep her eating/drinking. Will offer electrolytes AND clean water. Off to get calcium tablets now.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock, I just ordered some amoxicillin- they will take some time to get here, but in the mean time, we will try to keep her eating/drinking. Will offer electrolytes AND clean water. Off to get calcium tablets now.
Was able to get her to take 1 x Calcium + D3 tablet (calcium at 500mg, D3 at 1,000iu). Hot tip: Turns out two raisins make the almost perfect pill-pocket!

For anyone still reading… she has declined quickly and we are sure she’s going to die.

She is so pale, panting heavily. She drinks a ton of water in the mornings and is only pooping clear liquid with minimal green bits.

We started her on Corid this morning, since we can’t get antibiotics. We have ordered antibiotics but it will be a week or two before they arrive. We decided to start Corid because it was our last shot at trying to save her.

We tube fed her today, mid day, and her crop isn’t emptying.

She looks like she is in total distress. Very weak.

Any help/advice is appreciated… this is hard. She went for bouncy healthy 6 month old pullet, to this shell in a week.

For anyone still reading… she has declined quickly and we are sure she’s going to die.

She is so pale, panting heavily. She drinks a ton of water in the mornings and is only pooping clear liquid with minimal green bits.

We started her on Corid this morning, since we can’t get antibiotics. We have ordered antibiotics but it will be a week or two before they arrive. We decided to start Corid because it was our last shot at trying to save her.

We tube fed her today, mid day, and her crop isn’t emptying.

She looks like she is in total distress. Very weak.

Any help/advice is appreciated… this is hard. She went for bouncy healthy 6 month old pullet, to this shell in a week

Let's see I'm not finding from previous posts whether or no crop emptying overnight this whole time or not.
So maybe it's a no, it wasn't emptying?

She may have a blockage or possibly some inflammation somewhere else in the body that is causing the crop to become slow.

Hopefully Carol (@azygous ) will be on and chime back in. With her being so weak, this can be distressing and you may lose her, but I'd keep working on her.

Back
Top Bottom