Yellow/white diarrhrea

Shuggiesmom

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Franklin, Tennessee
I lost my best hen this a.m. She has had yellow and white diarrhea for about a week which I was treating by worming the flock....
Is there more that I need to do to keep the whole flock from this disaster?

I do have a bit more information now that I think back. She had quit laying, I am not sure how old she was b/c she was giving to me....although her egg shells were thinning and the morning I realize she was sick she tried to lay but it had no shell....not sure of all this. Cone was becoming whitish last few days. Her character was personality was always good until a week ago. No signs of the yellow/whitish stool until about a week ago. Stopped eating just over night.

Quote:
I have not had to worm mine yet, so I don't really know much about the symptoms of worms and the ones I read about they shake there heads alot.

The fact that her egg shells were getting thin,could be age or could be lack of protien and Calicium. Was her diet good. The comb color is a sign of some sort of problem wether illness or injury.

It is hard to tell what caused the death. If any of the others start acting funny, start asking right away and have some pics. if you can.

Take Care

Sulmet is not a wormer, it's normally used to treat coccidia. I think it's possible your chicken became eggbound. I've never had that problem and perhaps someone else can help you in that regard.

Last edited:
The diet of my chickens is 16% protein crumbles from co-op. I have oyster shell available to them all the time.
So far no other signs of illness in the other hens. The first day I noticed her being a bit listless and not eating her usual red tomatoe scraps (which she loved)and other foods I noticed she wanted to stay in the nest where she slept. I thought she was wanting to set so didn't bother her....but that was not the case. By the time I realized it was the diarrhea thing I was going to Co-op anyway and asked about what to give them and told them what she was happening. She did drink while just sitting,now out in the pen and yard. After I gave them the med she became a bit more active, but went down hill after a day of seeming better.

Oh, my....what should I give them...the co-op man pointed to that direction so I picked up the wrong thing.
I thought of "egg bound", but didn't think too much of it since she was a thin-type chicken and had laid so well.
goodness, me, what next? Do I worm the flock anyway?

Back
Top Bottom