yesterday every coop was a disaster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Dec 19, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Ugg yesterday was not fun.

Not only is everything frozen (that's to be expected) but every pen I opened had a new problem. I found blood everywhere in the main coop as my FblueCM got her comb stuck on the frozen waterer and tore it shaking blood everywhere, My broody in her broody pen knocked over the waterer soaking herself and the chicks all of which were near death when I found them. (So far they are getting better) One of my SG chicks got poop bound and I literally had to squeeze it out after warming its butt up but I don't think I noticed it in time (note to self swollen butts are not normal or just the birds shape) Hopefully if it ever happens again I will recognize it sooner and fix it.

Then the quail beat each other up (they are coming of age so I had a few scalped victims, and the list just goes on from there.....

I am procrastinating going out there cause who knows what problems I am about to walk into. [​IMG]
    OH AND A BLIZZARD IS ON THE WAY>

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    All i can say is [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I would offer to come help, but the Blizzard is already here. [​IMG]

Got snow suit sitting next to me, just dreading putting it on.

4. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

we have over ten inches here in berkeley springs west virginia

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    ho jeez!

[​IMG]

it will pass... well that's what I keep telling myself, we're stuck in a deep freeze and i now have 3 sick birds from the cold and humidity. One broody hen in the house sitting on 4 eggs that should hatch Dec 23rd, one scrawny wormy cockerel that's slowly gaining enough weight and feathers so he can go out in the coop, and a frozen coop at 100% humidity, freezing, miserable chickens, 3 who are coughing and leaking.

[​IMG] is it spring yet???

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well just got back from tending them. All is good today so far.

I even got ballsy figuring all of my neighbors have their windows closed and let my FBCM roo out with the girls. He is so happy. Hopefully no one will hear him [​IMG]

Oh and its not as cold as I thought it would be so thats a good thing.

Hey Marlin I hear your snow suite is pink with white bunny fur trim with watching muff , is that true I would love to see a pic [​IMG]

7. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Hang in there! Set those SG some fluffy pink teeny tiny snowsuits!

8. backyardbarn

backyardbarn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2009
    i got a baby silkie from the feed store and it was supposed to be vaccinated. 2 weeks ago it was kind of wobbly for a little but then it was fine. yesterday my brother hurt his head and had to get stitches and when we were gone it rained while the chicks were out in alittle open coop area exploring and when we got back we put them up for the night and when i woke up to put them out i noticed that my chick is poopind blood.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Sending a great big thought-hug your way! [​IMG] Remember why we do it. Wait... why do we do it? [​IMG]

Laura

10. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Your chick has cocci. Get some Corid from the feed store, for it's water. Add 9.5 ml to a gallon of water. Give the water to the birds. Treat all the birds for 5 days & they should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by