Yesterday my egg was rocking, today nothing

I'm wondering why there is so much blood. Have you removed much of the white membrane? I can't see it.

I am not really sure, this is my first time hatching eggs. I only made a small hole where i saw some movement thinking it was her beak but it was not. there seems to be a lot of fluid still in the egg. I don't really understand why, we are on day 23, I figured they would all be ready to hatch by now.

Out of 44 eggs to start, only 10 were fertile, out of those 10, 5 have already die and one live hatch yesterday, there are still 3 untouched eggs still in the incubator. Then there is the one you have seen.

They should've been. Was your temperature low at any point during the incubation? That could slow down development. The only thing we can do now is give her time and keep that membrane wet. If I could see her properly I'd be able to advice you better. I've had a tricky hatch once, also a lot of blood and fluid and the chick had her head stuck so she couldn't get it out. I had to look for her head, pull it out and keep her damp and in the shell for hours afterwards. She made it, but it was touch and go.
If we could figure out where her head is it would help, but don't mess with her now. Let her absorb some of that blood. Judging by the look of things she's probably still busy with the yolk sac too. So let her sit for and hour or 2 and let's see how she does.

I'll be around on and off over the next few hours.

I am so sorry for your loss.
sad.png
I would give you some advice, but I really don't assist my eggs when they hatch. They ALWAYS come out perfectly on their own; plus, it looks like sumi is giving helpful advice .:)

Could be the temps in the bator were way too low and the chicks just weren't developed fully. In that case, most will perish, sorry to say. When they look that bad when you open them up, they rarely make it. Best never to open the egg that way. Too much interference can cause more problems than it solves with hatching chicks.

I am not sure what happened. The chick that hatched yesterday has passed now and the silkie egg has passed too I am afraid. Not sure if I will be attempting to hatch again this is horrible.

Don't give up just yet!
hugs.gif
Things go wrong sometimes and it's not nice, but it's how we learn. Hatching is not always moonshine and cute chicks, but when it goes well it's awesome. If I gave up the first time, or the second or the 3rd or the 4th or the 5th time I had a hatch flop or a chick dying I wouldn't have been here now talking to you. I've made such big mistakes in some of my hatches, I'd rather try to forget about them. Let's see if we can figure this out. I've got a couple of questions, if you want you can answer them and help us troubleshoot.

I'm suspecting there may have been a problem during incubation. Either the temperature was too low or the humidity was too low/high or something. That chick should've been further developed by now.

What was your temperature?
What was your humidity during incubation and lockdown?
Where did you get the eggs from?
How old were they when you set them?
Were they shipped or sourced locally?

As for the chick that hatched and died. What is your brooder set-up?
What's the temperature in there?
Were you feeding it and what?
Did it show any signs of being weak before dying?

I tried to keep the temp at 99.5 sometimes it went down to 98 but I would adjust the temp back up.
I didn't measure the humidity, I had water in the bottom of the incubator and put in a bowl full, when it said to up the humidity I put in a second bowl.
The eggs came from my chickens, we had to get rid of our rooster so we decided to hatch some of his babies! I would put them in the incubator daily.

I had the chick in a 10 gallon fish tank, I goggled how to build a brooder and it said a fish tank was suitable.
I had medicated chick starter food. and water in the brooder, but she hadn't eaten or drank.
she was fully hatched from her egg around 8:30pm last night and still could not stand by the time she passed.

I still have 3 eggs in the incubator and I am not going to touch them for a few days and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom