Yet again...HORROR in the hen house. :(( **FINAL UPDATE!!!**

i had a bad experience myself about 3 weeks ago....my chickens are my babies so i took it very hard when the neighbors dog managed to get into my coop amd killed 4 of my prized pets....2 white crested polishes, toppy and harry houdini, a americauna named bully and my golden sebright named boy. it broke my heart but i have resigned myself to the fact that if it hadn't have been for them putting themselves on the line for the hens, i'd have lost them too. i thought i had it built to where nothing could get in. the dog just got lucky i guess. it really eats me up.....
sad.png
:

i am glad to see that feather is doing better...it is a long hard road for one with that much harm done to it....just keep up the TLC and you will be rewarded in the end...she is a fine looking little girl!
smile.png

I'm sorry to hear about your feather family:( I had similar things happen to me a few years back, lost almost my whole flock (about 130 birds) to a pair of St.Bernards.....they were mine! After repeat offences (once even tunneling out the floor of the horsetrailer I had stashed them in for the night for 'safekeeping'), DH said to get rid of them or he would. We ended up taking them to the pound and they were put down. I was hard pressed about which I felt worse about but in the end those poor defenceless little chickens, ducks and bunny rabbit won out. I can imagine the rage you feel at dogs that you can't control. The only 2 options it looks like you have are turn these mutts in to the local police/animal control/humane society, or follow the 3 S's...Shoot, Shovel & Shut up! Best of luck with that cute little orpie (we had one in our attack that was tore up quite similar and she came back with a bang...absolutely blasted any dog that got near her from then on!) ~Tracy

Force the issue with the cops and file a report. You have damaged property and the dog will eventually attack a human. There needs to be a legal paperwork trail. Honestly if you can't shoot the dogs I would sent them a nicely flavored steak.

Sorry about your loss

Last edited:
Feather is doing MUCH better!

I swear I think her wound healed up some overnight. It looks much better...I'll take more pics tomorrow.

The other day, I did have to clean her butt...NASTY.

But, she's pooping, which is great...it's just that she hadn't felt like standing on her own...so she was laying in her poop.

However, tonight, she showed me how well she was standing on her own...and then I took her out to change her bedding...she was all talkative and jovial.

I did let her come outside for about 10 minutes yesterday, outside of the coop, totally supervised by me, so she could see her siblings...OH she wanted in there SO bad...but I'm afraid, with the wound still there, that they'd see it and peck it back open...so I'm not letting her reacclimate until that one gash for sure is healed up.

I know she's not out of the woods yet...but thank you so much for your thoughts...

Honestly, I wouldn't have called the police or animal control. I really, really don't like to involve authorities--isn't it nicer, more neighborly and American to try and work things out with people you have a problem with first? (LOL, and I come from a whole family of attorneys too!) Talk with the neighbor and see if you can figure out a way to resolve the problem of the dog in your yard.

But yes, it's good to have a rooster. I have a pit bull myself, and he does a very good job of keeping her out of the coop.

Last edited:
Gobbles...wasn't much time for friendly neighborhood talking with 2 pit bulls lunging and nashing at you in your own yard...KWIM?

Had they fled, yes, but not when they insisted upon staying in the yard to try to continue their "mission"...and possibly against us next.

Back
Top Bottom