Yet again...HORROR in the hen house. :(( **FINAL UPDATE!!!**

We had a similar experience some years ago. My wife went out to the chicken pen only to find dead chickens everywhere, and two big mean dogs in the pen. When she tried to shoo them out they came at her growling and threatening. She got back to the house as fast as she could and told me. I killed both dogs, in the pen, with my shotgun. Then I called the neighbor who owned them and told him to come get his dogs. When he showed up he was very ticked, threatening to sic the law on me for killing is valuable dogs. I told him to go ahead and call the sheriff's office or animal control, if he wanted to. I knew what they would tell him. They would tell him that I had a right to protect my animals, and especially my family, and that he was lucky his dogs hadn't been able to attack my wife or he would have been in serious trouble. I never heard any more from him.

Last edited:
Feather is now standing every day in her kennel, and we let her outside in our big dog kennel beside her brother and sisters and mom so she can reacclimate herself.

Oh, she wants to stay out there so badly...but I don't want her sore to get pecked back open.

But, all in all, she's 1000% better than the day of the attack, but still have a ways to go.

That's my quick update for now...thanks to you all for your thoughts, prayers, and words of wisdom.

I am sorry to hear about the losses of others who have shared...I wanted to mention that, so you wouldn't think I was neglecting your losses...(((HUGS))) to all.

Yeah Feather!!
hugs.gif

Glad to hear your bird is doing so much better!

As to the shooting of the dogs, as much as it sounds like the correct thing to do, it may cause you to get in a heap of trouble. By the look of the picture you posted, your in quite a urban area, with neighbors very close by. Discharging a firearm, even for protection of your chickens, may end up with you, or your husband, in very deep trouble with the law.

I would not be suprised that if one of "you" were being attacked, and you shot the dog under those circumstances, that the court would be very lenient, but still a lot of hassle, and the expense perhaps of a lawyer.

Many of the folks advising shooting the dogs may live in a rural area, where discharging a firearm is not considered a big deal. As to in a city, the swat team may be called out.

If you get the ok to shoot, then get it in writing.

Realisticaly, the police should have arranged for the dogs involved to be taken to the pound, pending a court hearing, and thier fate decided by a judge after hearing the story. I can't believe that further action was not taken. I would be going up the police food chain and demanding charges be laid.

Thanks Bills...don't worry, I wasn't going to shoot the dogs...because of the proximity of which we live to others.

Now, as for a high powered paintball gun or pellet gun...just something to "shock" the dog(s) and make it run...probably on our list very soon.

Just because I live in the city doesn't mean I won't attempt to have an additional barrier of protection when people don't care to keep their pets up.

I had a similar dog attack a couple months ago. Thanksfully all three of my hens survived. Two were injured, one badly. She had a huge chunk of skin and feathers taken out of her like yours. I left her alone and she did fine, eventually her feathers grew back, and she seems as peppy as ever. I hope your bird pulls through too!

Personally, I would kill the dogs.

But if you choose to go with the paint ball idea, keep the paint balls in the freg. They will be hard as marbles, that should get their attention.
wink.png

A good squirt bottle of bleach or vinegar is good to have on hand. Get the good kind that shoot six or eight feet. Aim for the eyes and mouth. You don't really have to worry about kids getting into them either, you can keep the bottle right by the hen house.

Okay...to address the "shoot or not to shoot" issue, I have included a pic in this post that I got from Google Earth to show you WHY I cannot shoot the dogs with anything "lethal"...as you can see by the pic (our house is the one with the little orange dot and thumbtak in it), we're WAY too close to neighboring yards.

ourhouse.jpg

As for Feather...better every day...she's even got a scab now...but should I still keep her isolated here until she gets some feathers regrown to cover her back? I don't want them picking at her and getting her back open.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom