Yet another CORN question

kiwichick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 9, 2008
NorCal
I've read on here over and over that too much cracked corn is bad for chickens but what about fresh uncooked corn on the cob? Is that the same? Can I give it to them regularly or is it still a treat?

I read several chicken books from the library. The American books assume you will feed the chickens corn, 30-50%. The British books say not to feed more than 25% corn or you’ll get a fatty bird. Don’t think it matters how the corn is processed. My commercial feed says it’s made of grain and plant products but not which ones so no extra corn for my chickies. I’m a bit anti-corn regardless.

Well, I guess I'll keep it as a "once in a while treat" treat then. Shame though, because a cob of corn does keep them busy for a quite a long time
hmm.png

I tried them on some cantaloupe thinking that would do the same. They turned their beaks up at it.
roll.png

Quote:
I think that some people here overdo the cracked corn idea, little do they know that most of the feeds in the store are around 50% corn or corn byproducts. I see no problem giving your chickens raw corn, but dont let that be their only feed. Do your chickens run out and free range?

Corn in the cold weather may not be too bad if the chickens needs a little weight for the cold but, it will make them fat. I think it is a balancing act betwenn the amount fo exercise and the amount fo corn/scratch given.

I would use it as a treat and leave it at that.

Growing up my granny always fed corn to her chickens , they free ranged and ate corn daily, dad said when he was growing up corn was what everyone (living near him) fed their free range chickens ....corn and whatever the chickens found out there on their own, they always had eggs and plenty of chicken dinners. My chickens can't range like they did years ago due to increase in predators and such , I do throw them some cracked corn everyday as scratch feed but I don't relay on it for their daily nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom