Yet another dog...

Tango2

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2016
So, I'm new to chickens and have 5 three month old hens. I also have trained retrievers. Sometimes the two don't mix well. Today my older boy got out and retrieved one of my chickens for me. He was quite proud of himself since he was pretty sure I wanted him to do bring her to me - which he did and delivered her to hand. He has a soft mouth and didn't mean to hurt her, but she lost a lot of feathers, is darned mad and has a very small laceration through the first layer of skin under one wing. I actually think she'll be fine since she is walking around and roosting. However I'm concerned that the other chickens might pick on her. Would it be wise to separate her for a bit until she heals better?

Thanks

So, I'm new to chickens and have 5 three month old hens.  I also have trained retrievers.  Sometimes the two don't mix well.  Today my older boy got out and retrieved one of my chickens for me.  He was quite proud of himself since he was pretty sure I wanted him to do bring her to me - which he did and delivered her to hand.   He has a soft mouth and didn't mean to hurt her, but she lost a lot of feathers, is darned mad and has a very small laceration through the first layer of skin under one wing.  I actually think she'll be fine since she is walking around and roosting.  However I'm concerned that the other chickens might pick on her.  Would it be wise to separate her for a bit until she heals better?

Thanks

Yes,it is,and make sure to clean the wound very good,and make sure she has food,water,and warmth,and,welcome to byc

Thanks for the advice. I did keep her separated for about 24 hours, then let her back in with the flock when they were all out in the yard under my watchful eye. She assimilated back in just fine and the other hens seem oblivious that she had been hurt. Now to keep Mick from helping me with what he thinks are escaped chickens.

Back
Top Bottom