Yet another gender post

Ps. Nugget's white highlights on her neck have become quite pronounced. Her body looks so much like a Gray Japanese bantam to me, but she also has grey legs, and a very, very small comb which both seem to be traits of OEGB's. I'm thinking Birchen OEGB at this point. Thoughts? More photo's of Nugget and Lacey are available if needed.

Every now and then, Lacey will run up to Cotton with her hackers raised, and size him up. It usually dissipates quickly with a peck or two. Cotton usually sizes her up back, but once Lacey even jumped with her feet out towards him. Sometimes Cotton starts it, and some times Lacey does.
Everything about Lacey screams hen to me. Her thin small pale comb, and pale face, even her legs look thin to be a cockerels. Maybe she's just being a bossy hen?

Pullets and hens will do that sometimes. If she still looks like a pullet, she probably is one.

(Of course you could post newer photos, and get other opinions on whether "she" still looks like a pullet.)

Pullets and hens will do that sometimes. If she still looks like a pullet, she probably is one.

(Of course you could post newer photos, and get other opinions on whether "she" still looks like a pullet.)
Nothing about her says rooster. She looks exactly like she did in the original photos, but leggier. I assumed she was just being bossy lol!
I'm starting to assume that Cotton is a he. His attitude says it, but I'll post more photos in another week. I believe 12 weeks was the suggested update time.

Nothing about her says rooster. She looks exactly like she did in the original photos, but leggier. I assumed she was just being bossy lol!
I'm starting to assume that Cotton is a he. His attitude says it, but I'll post more photos in another week. I believe 12 weeks was the suggested update time.
I was thinking that cotton looks like a he, but it's so difficult to sex silkies that early. I currently have 4 that I've been going back and fourth on 😂 I was convinced i had 3 roos and 1 hen, now I'm convinced I have 2 roos, 1 hen and the other no clue, so frustrating!

I was thinking that cotton looks like a he, but it's so difficult to sex silkies that early. I currently have 4 that I've been going back and fourth on 😂 I was convinced i had 3 roos and 1 hen, now I'm convinced I have 2 roos, 1 hen and the other no clue, so frustrating!
Silkies make it so hard! You never know until they're old enough to crow lol!

Silkies make it so hard! You never know until they're old enough to crow lol!
Exactly! I got 3 from a breeder at about 3 weeks old and he referred to the white and partridge as boys and the "cream" as a "she." & they were all what he said! Granted, he does breed silkies for a living, he has probably gotten really good at guessing, or maybe he had them tested, who knows! But regardless I was very impressed when they grew up to be 2 roos and a hen 😂

Exactly! I got 3 from a breeder at about 3 weeks old and he referred to the white and partridge as boys and the "cream" as a "she." & they were all what he said! Granted, he does breed silkies for a living, he has probably gotten really good at guessing, or maybe he had them tested, who knows! But regardless I was very impressed when they grew up to be 2 roos and a hen 😂
Wow! Thats impressive!
When I guess with Silkies, I base it a lot on attitude lol! If you stand tall, and seem to "guard" the others, I guess your a boy. If you scatter and run I guess your a girl. Its not super accurate, but probably the most accurate way to guess with Silkies lol!

Updated photos of Cotton, 12 weeks.
IMG_9319.jpeg

IMG_9323.jpeg

IMG_9324.jpeg

I'de be surprised if you told me he wasn't a cockerel. 😉😝

Back
Top Bottom