Yet another health issue. Please help with skin condition.

sarahannecloud9

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2012
Pleasant Hill, Tn
My Coop
My Coop
This is Harmony. A cochin of unknown age. I have had her and her flock for a cpl months now. They were in very poor condition when they came to us. We just finished treatment for scaly leg. Misserable for everyone. She has been treated with ivermectin. She came to us without feathers on her throat, crop, and straight down from the beak to vent. It's very red and irritated. No new feather loss/growth since she arrived. Her feathers this month have faded to a brown color. She is fatter now and healthier. I was holding her this am and noticed all the dander. I about fell over. I spent the greater part of an hour picking pieces of thick skin. Like dandruff, only thick. On the featherless areas it peeling like a sunburn. One feathered areas, it was chunks matted in, some the size of half dollars. Even her poor face is thickened with skin.

I gave her a bath with selson blue, yea I know. I didn't know what elese to do though. I scrubbed her well. What a trooper. Her name soots her. She's now in this pen in the house warming and drying.

My question is this:
What the heck is this gals skins deal?
What can I do to help?
She seemed happy when I was picking it off.
I never see her clean herself.
It's only her, but could she have had mites that were killed with the ivermectin treatment?
The whole flock has been treated as well as the coop.

Please help someone. She appears so misserable. :( They has such a horrid start to life, I only want to see them happy.
These were taken after I picked most of the skin off.

Her face.
11-21-2012019.jpg

See the yellow dead huge flake to the right of the skin shot.
Click this bar to view the full image.

More skin.

Under wing.

chest

belly, chest, and crop.

Throat. It's way more red than would show.

Crop.

Warming/drying in house.

Poor baby.

Rescent. Turning brown.

When she came to us.

About 2 months ago. The lighting made her look very dark.

True color when she first got here.

I haven't had any issues like the one you are experiencing, but I can say that little chicken is lucky that you care for her like you do. Sounds like she is in good hands.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom