Yet another hen/drake question...

Unfortunately I got home from work today to find a very friendly (but strange) dog in my yard going after my ducks. I will definitely be posting another thread with details and what should I do but needless to say I may have less drakes now. :th

Oh NO! I'm sorry to hear about the dog. I had that happen once. It's heart wrenching. FWIW I pretty much don't leave home if my flock is out enjoying freedom. It seems every time I let my guard down somehow the predators know it.

I took at look at the photo and circled the definite drakes in orange, hens in red. The ones in the back are harder to see. Your first choice for a drake is a great choice! That darker rust color on his chest is a good indicator for final coloring.

Since you were asking - I also marked the area I see as the final decision maker with an arrow. That upper tail area will normally come in scalloped on drakes and striped on hens. So when in doubt refer to that. It seems most of the boys bills are starting to turn green as well. Are you looking to keep all of the hens or will you be sorting those down as well? I've been showing welshies a few years so I'd be happy to give you feedback on the individuals.

Back
Top Bottom