1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet another Mystery Predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newchickmom, Feb 23, 2014.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have been losing chickens several at a time! Not sure what is killing them.

My hen house is an 8 x 12 barn style storage shed that has been used for a chicken house for about 10 years or more. When we moved here, I had to add a pop door for the girls because it didn't have one. I made one that slides up and down.

About 3 weeks ago, my chickens started disappearing one by one. Then I found my duck dead. I thought we had a fox that was getting them after I let them out in the morning.
    I even found a dead rooster pulled half under the chicken house by the pop door. I thought He had got locked out since this was when I went out to open the door for the day.
    Two days ago, I went to let my chickens out about 11AM and everyone was fine.( im down to 2 roosters and 11 hens by now), So I go to get eggs about 5:30 PM, and I opened the people door to a horrible mess. Dead chickens everywhere it seemed. There were actually 6 dead hens and 1 rooster I had to put out of his misery.
    This leaves 5 hens and 1 rooster. I opened the door to let them out yesterday and now I am down to 3 hens.. I am stumped!! I looked everywhere to see if there are any holes chewed in the wood where something could get in and all the wires over ventilations are intact. I'm thinking I have a ghost predator.

Could a raccoon get the pop door open? That is the only explanation I can think of. I nailed it shut last night. I am going out in a few minutes, to see if I Have any chickens left.

Any Ideas?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    do you latch the pop door shut at night or is it still sliding? a coon could very easily slide it up so could a few other things.weasels are pretty invisible.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    coons dont normally hunt in the daytime

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Look on YouTube for"locking chicken door"I just made one for my new coop, it was simple with a little thinking involved, more safety at night is always a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by