Yet another plea for HELP

sab

Songster
10 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
I ordered 2 white barred rocks, 2 buff orphingtons and 1 easter egger -- ALL hens. I'm pretty sure I have 1 EE and 1 buff - both hens. But what are the other 2 and their combs are developing much larger than the 1st 2. All were picked up from the farm store on April 18th so they aren't but maybe 7 weeks old. The 2 I don't know, I think are Long Island Reds. And I am hoping that breed develops combs quicker than other breeds. The tail feathers on all 4 birds are straight up. If not for their heads, you wouldn't know one from the other. I tried to grab a side picture tonight but they were just a bundle of energy and then my phone went dead. Tell me what you think PLEASE --- and THANK YOU in advance.

Here's the little flock:

Here's one of the 2 I don't know - breed or sex. The combs are not as red as they appear here. And the hangy waffly part under the chins aren't much more developed than the other 2 birds.

smokeykk

Songster
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
Looks like you got 2 Production Red Roos! I have one of those, and I don't know what you were trying to say, Did you mean Rhode Island Reds???

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Well they are definitely not barred rocks or Buff Orpingtons. They look like Rhode Island Reds to me. I also think that is a type that is sold at feed stores a lot. I wouldn't worry about them being roos yet. I have a Buff Orpington that had combs and waddle that big at that age. Hers is so big now it flops over but, she is 100% girl because, she is a very good egg layer. If someones start crowing you will know. My boys started practicing rooing at about 3 months.

Good luck,
MIchelle:p

sab

Songster
10 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Yes, I meant to say Rhode Island Reds. Hum..... wonder what I did say?! I'm really not that ignorant... or maybe I am:/

Any case, I was wondering when the crowing started. I don't want roos. I don't plan to be awaken during the night or early in the AM - hence the auto pop door...

These birds were suppose to be in a mixed order for the store but specific order for me from one of the hatcheries. I can't remember which one. Is there a hatchery that has the word "Crack" in it? Don't answer - doesn't matter. I didn't order for myself directly from the hatchery because delivery wasn't coming until June and I wanted the chicks for my niece to enjoy for Easter. Rhode Islands are good and fine with me but only if they are hens. I keep watching the tails..... like I said, all 4 chicks the same -- straight up. So I'm hoping....for all girls....

Thanks for all the comments!

smokeykk

Songster
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
You said Long Island Reds
and they could've started making rooy noises before this. My production red chick (5 1/2 weeks) makes akward sounds when I try to pick him up, its sort of a Choking sound, like "Bugguck"

Top Bottom