yet another question about humidity (in incubators) :)

mothersin2ition

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Othello, WA
The humidity in our house is always in the 40-50's range. My question is, will I need to get it down? If so, how? I have read alot of different opinions, but Im afraid if I up it on day 18, then they may drown? Should I try to lower it until day 18, then let it get back to the normal 50% range thats in the house? I hope that makes sense.

are they in an incubater??what kind????
I don't concern myself with house humidity...just what the hydrometer reads in the incubater...........
smile.png

I'm a newbie so hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in. 40% to 50% sounds about right for day 1 - 18 so if you're in that range you shouldn't have to lower it. From everything I have read (and I hope I'm right cuz I go into lockdown today!), on day 18 when you go into lockdown you will want to up it to 70% to 80% to keep the membrane from drying out when they pip & zip.

Its a homemade forced-air styrofoam bator. The humidity stays constantly at 50% inside. So upping it to 60-65% wont drown the chicks when they try to hatch? Id really rather not try to get my hum down day 1-18 (as opposed to just upping it at lockdown). I guess I will try it and see what happens
fl.gif

Also wanted to add one more question- can I hatch at 100.7 degrees? My bator is stable at this temp and Im having a hard time getting it to come down.

Yes, I understand, we both live in this soggy place called Washington.

I don't know what kind of incubator you are using, but if it has a fan your incubator humidity level will lower when it runs. I use two different cheap Walmart hygrometers at the same time inside mine and try to keep humidity at 48-53% until lockdown (hens eggs). That's what my bator calls for. At lockdown, I add felt or polar fleece to the bottom under the tray and soak those, and get it up to upper 60's. I have an 80% hatch rate generally, and no live chicks have died as of yet.

I usually shoot for 100.3-100.7, so I think you are ok. Also, I found my humidity rate was different when eggs were in it.

I hope that helps. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Kipper! Yes WA state is humid! But the funny thing is, we are in an area that is generally very arid and dry. We are on the other side of the mountains (in Othello) so its strange that it's so humid. That is good advice about the temp and hum. I think I'll just leave my temp where it is and add some material or sponges on day 18 to increase humidity. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom