Yet, another rat

Jammerz

Chirping
Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
I left my empty coop open this morning when I got my brooder box out in preparation for the chicks that were supposed to come today but didn't. I was busy setting up my brooder in the garage where it is warmer when I realized that I could hear my dog going crazy. I went out and saw she was in the coop. Sure enough, there was a rat in my box trap. That is the second one I have caught in the past week. I have had a 4 or 5 week dry spell before that. I noticed they had chewed a hole in my bag of medicated starter too. I'm not sure where I will set the trap once the chicks are in the coop. They are hard to catch and I have it in a good spot now.

Here it is

Attachments

• 20190213_082601.jpg
    20190213_082601.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 39
I feel your pain they are the only thing that get past the dogs. And after we lost our barn cats they came back. We just have one cat that kills them and shes not outside much. When i had a group of barn cats we never had the issue.

Attachments

• 180928-catwithrat-full.jpg
    180928-catwithrat-full.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 13
Cats don't do well on roof rats, cats don't do well again my Blue Lacy either.
My one cat decimated a whole colony of rats but they were the big brown kind. Are roof rats another story?

With cats its all their history and individual, i find the energic breeds are amazing hunters. The sickly colony ferals dont seem to be great hunters. ITs a aquaired talent some cats learn by getting the neck of a stoat or rat makes them helpless and easy kill. I know a farm that has a cat that does this and has decimated their rat population. He said he would pay me 100 if i find him another cat like the one he is. Finding cats with that skill is tough.

They've never bothered the chickens before. These are "roof" rats and not typical Norway rats for whatever it's worth. I put the feed in 5 gallon buckets and the bastid chewed the screw on lids up to the point of ruining them. I can't figure how they are getting into my shed. I thought it was tight enough to keep them out. I guess I will have to unload it and see if there is a hole somewhere .

Back
Top Bottom