Yet another Silkie Color question?

jimnjay

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bryant Alabama
I have 8 beautiful Buff Silkies. I just had a chick hatch that I thought looked white. I waited for it to feather out some because I have a couple of very light girls. It still looks VERY white to me.

If one of the birds had a white Silkie in the background would the rooster also have to have it in order to throw this chick. I do not have white here and never have had. If I get a new rooster, will I still have white chicks pop up?

Walkswithdogs, here I go again! Those dang Stealth genes.

I am a genetics novice but I think the only way to know who throws the white is to do isolation breedings. Take time to weed out your problem child....

If the chick is white from non white parents, then both parents will be carrying a recessive white gene.

If you get a new male that is not carrying a recessive white gene, then his offspring will not be white.

....but whichever female is carrying the recessive white gene will pass that recessive white gene on, statistically, to about half of her offspring.
hmm.png

LOL, Through1956, No problem, Here one comes, I love the white too but I like buff better and don't have the room. You may not like getting a buff Silkie from you white birds every so often.

Kyrs109 That is what I was hoping for. I can only assume that 3 of the hen and the roo since they are from the same breeder will be potentially the carrier of the "stealth gene" I will have to muddle along with the girls and replace the boy. for now. I will most likely seperate the two groups of hens and try to get a line without the white gene floating around. I hope no one tried to get the darks out of the buff by breeding a white. Sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom