Yet another wonderful thing about chx: egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmc, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    If you are raising chickens for eggs and this breaks out, it is very hard--if not impossible--to cure.

Sure, you can have the birds' beaks chopped in half, if you're into that (which i would rather avoid).

Ducks don't eat their eggs: their bills just aren't able to do that sort of thing. Now they can eat up a SOFT SHELLED egg quickly, for sure.

I had a flock of egg-eating RIR. They are gone now (surprise surprise!!!)

If anyone knows of a cure................

Thinking about getting back into chooks from ducks........

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...you've really had some chicken issues lately, haven't you??? I think if my chickens ever become more stress than joy, I'll get out of chickening. Sounds like ducks bring you lots of happiness at least [​IMG]

3. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    try a roll away nest box,my husband built me one from wonderful plans on the forum.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agreed, this is the only cure I've ever read about that works dependably.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have a problem with my roll out box of the chickens still breaking and some eating eggs. I am so frustrated. Out of 15 eggs a day on avg, I lose about 4.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Wow, four out of fifteen eggs? That's pretty bad. I must be really lucky with this. My chickens eat any soft shelled eggs and if one falls out of the nest box and breaks they'll gobble it up like mad, but they've never broken a whole egg deliberately just to eat it. Whew!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by