YIKES!! Just looked in the nestbox for eggs and there was a RACCOON!!!

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
Just looked up at me like "Huh????? Why are you disturbing my beauty sleep?"

I called the chickens out of the coop, hightailed it out of there and locked the door behind me.

On the phone ALL morning calling wildlife trappers/pest control companies. Prices are beyond belief.

Ranged from $150 to $450 to come and get him. Sheesh! He's all trapped already. Just have to reach in
with a snare pole and done!

Called the $150 trapper. He'll be here in an hour. I put a bowl of water out for my three chickens.

They're out "free ranging" in the big backyard grassy field.

it's all my fault. I forgot to lock their door last night until it was already full dark.

The critter ate almost ALL of the bowl of Purina chicken feed, knocked over all the
little spray bottles, small bins of DE, grit, oyster shells, and the rolls of paper towels and stuff. The pine shavings are
completely hilled up away from the edges of the ChickArena. He must have been pacing the perimeter all night long
(after I unwittingly locked him in last night.)

As soon as it's gone, I'm going to scrub and spray EVERYTHING with Oxine solution.

I'm SO mad at myself!!! Bummer!! (Though I can't believe how lucky we are that he never touched the chickens!!!
Just ate all the feed.)

A bowl full of feed is so much less work than chicken. Don't feel too bad, I've forgotten to lock the coop once. I was panicked when I noticed it halfway back to the coop and ran. Everyone was fine, just like yours, but I really kick myself for it still. Now I double check every night. All experiences are learning experiences.

Wow you are so lucky that it didn't harm any of your chickens. Racoon's have a severe hatred towards chickens. If I lived nearby I would come get it for much less;)

She let the chickens out in the yard and locked the thief in the coop. Just a little work digging and a 10 cent .22 and he'll never come back. So simple.

Ouch! You got REALLY lucky it did not kill all your chickens.

That said, save your 150 bucks and borrow a 22 rifle... or if you are in the city, borrow someone's high powered AIR rifle. Not very loud at all and much cheaper.

Yea, don't let the trapper just release him right next to your coop. Not sure about other states but in CA, if you trap an animal, it has to be released back on the same property where it was trapped. That guy is going to be back night after night now that he's found a cozy set up.

Quote:
x2 You're so lucky. That's a happy ending! And you learned a lesson the EASY way!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom