Yikes....My 8 yr old just almost lost her future driving privileges...

The only thing I would say is as a boy who spent a lot of time on dirtbikes and 4 wheelers your kids really should have helmets on. Other than that I think it is sad that he would give anyone a hard time about this. I love watching all the atv's going past our house (I live on a dirt road out in the country too).

Well, I agree that he must have been having a slow day, but maybe, just maybe he is concerned and cares about kids too. We had a little girl near here die not very long ago on a 4-wheeler. She may have been being responsible, or maybe was careless, no one will ever know now, but either way she got pinned underneath it and died before anyone knew what happened to her.

Maybe he thought reading them and you the riot act might save a life. Right wrong or whatever, maybe he had a good heart even if he was grumpy or whatever.

Last edited:
Quote:
In most cases, I would agree. The reason that we dont require a helmet is because we want the kids to see the ATV as a farm vehicle. In our case, the ATV is a mini-tractor. It has never been used as a recreational vehicle.

If that machine has ever gone over 15 mph, I would be surprised.

If they were to take it and use in any other capacity, they would be wearing helmets.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I second the helmet thing. That is only because my son nearly lost his life(20 days in a coma, weeks in rehab) on an ATV when he was 12. The ATV landed on his head, if it were not for his helmet he would not be here.

That being said... Sounds to me like someone was a little bored! I don't see a thing wrong with your system. It sounds like it works out great. We too live in the middle of nowhere. Like you, if we got caught we would be in deep doodoo. Our son drives his car to the bus stop without a license. It is just part of being a rural kid I guess. He was doing it when he was 11!

I hope he leaves you alone after this and you can continue as you were. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
Sorry about laughing so hard, but we live in County territory and they quite regularly give tickets on the dirt roads that are not maintained by anyone but the residents. I need to take a pic of this dirt road in front of my house for you to understand the giggling goin on over here...

Ok - see where the nice smooth road kinda drops off? Dirk bikers get tickets all the time out here. Ridiculous!!!

14951_road.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update....talked to neighbor who also uses quad back and forth in neighborhood. He put 'Farm Use' tags on his and he said that took care of all issues other than underage drivers.

Will be checking out info at DMV
smile.png

Oh look, it's the cop bashing band wagon. All aboard.

I'm pleased to see that there are some who believe that perhaps he was looking out for the welfare of the child, rather than believing he should just mind his own business.

Quote:
I think Ms J. that he could get me on a technicality... because the 'lane' has a name, it probably is public. However, if thats the case, I will be contacting my DOT to fix the multitude of holes and ruptures that are in it...lol.

My family lives on a named lane as a matter of fact its my maiden name its not public property though and they won't fix the ruts unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom