Yikes....My 8 yr old just almost lost her future driving privileges...

Quote:
Not so. If that expressway runs through his city, he can absolutely issue a summons.

here in MI, they do not stick. they may get issued, but it is not there territory. it is a State Trooper's. sorry for any confusion on that.

Quote:
Not so. If that expressway runs through his city, he can absolutely issue a summons.

here in MI, they do not stick. they may get issued, but it is not there territory. it is a State Trooper's. sorry for any confusion on that.

Lucky you guys!! My personal thought on the tickets that given out where I live is that they need to concentrate on the STREETS, not the back roads where the dirt bikes and horses and buggys and quads BELONG. I just think we are so rural out here and the local force is too big so they get bored. They are NEVER rude. Just seems odd to ticket a dirt biker in the dirt.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I can do that! We have horses.
smile.png

I would recommend a helmet for riding the horse too.

If the dirt lane is a public road, the sheriff had every right to ticket her. If it was not, then he didn't. Do you have title to it? The county (or city) should be able to tell you who owns it.

You find lots of golf carts here. If they are not licensed (which requires things such as head lights, brake lights, and not sure what else), they cannot legally be driven on public roads. Same with all other motorized vehicles.

If you were at home at the time to recieve that phone call, why didn't you just go down there to pick him up yourself? Why risk sending your 8yr old daughter down the road on an ATV with no helmet, thereby putting them both at risk of injury or death?

I guess I just don't get what's funny about this. My stepbrother seriously almost died after an ATV accident once.. He was in the hospital for weeks.. He kept riding after that, but dang near killed his own two daughters at their "papaw's" house once because something on the machine either malfunctioned or one of the girls did...something...and caused him to lose control.. They were just putt-putting around, but somehow he wound up turning the thing over backward in the space of just a few feet. Luckily, the girls came off and bounced to safety, but he broke his collar bone and had to have surgery.

I know you said you didn't want them to think of it as "recreational," but more like a little tractor....which is fine, except that kids probably shouldn't be operating tractors either.

I dunno.. I just don't get it, I guess..
hu.gif

Quote:
How do you figure that an 8yo girl riding an ATV alone with no helmet up to 1/4mi from home with no adult supervision isn't even at risk for injury or death?

I mean, an 8yo girl riding a bicycle with no helmet up to 1/4mi from home with no adult supervision is at least at some risk for injury...falls off and breaks an arm, whatever. It happens all the time, we all know that.

So how could it possibly be safer when you replace "bicycle" with "ATV"???

Last edited:
If driven properly, then the chances of death are slim to none. The boyfriend has almost died on his old racing 4 wheeler, more than once, WITH full safety gear on. It's how he was driving it (in dirt races with those huge jumps). He still has one, and we're just waiting for the boys to get old enough to get them one. However, the boys will not be allowed to drive recklessly, or in races, like the bf did. Once they hit the age that they feel they're unbreakable, then we'll have to figure out what we're going to do, because all of the safety gear in the world won't save your life if you're riding like an idiot.

And, I fully support the OP, I understand that you're not some crazy, maniac woman who's trying to kill her kids like some people are trying to make it sound.

I don't think anyone thinks she is trying to kill her kids.

I do think that many of us feel she is underestimating the risk/danger she is exposing them to. Yes, her kids/her call--assuming that it is private land they are riding on, and whatever state and local laws allow/disallow (whether they should or not). I don't think the sheriff would have stopped and cited them if he didn't feel the situation warranted it. For one thing, if you choose to fight the citation, he has to show up in court and defend his actions to a judge.

Back
Top Bottom