Yikes.. they are hatching.

newduckie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Missouri Ozarks
I have bob white quail eggs and was going to give them a couple more days then toss. I came home from work just now too abunch a pips and one hatched. how long do I leave them in the bator after they dry? i have read not very long, but how long is that? HELP!!

Once they're dry they can go in the brooder, but it's best not to open the bator until they've all hatched. Just don't wait more than 24 hours after the first one hatched.

Quote:
Oops.. I waited about 12 hours and opened to get the first 7 out. One is deformed and probably needs snuffed, but I can't do it. It is eating and scooting around. Hope nature takes care of it . It doesnt seem to be suffering. Just had two more hatch. I filmed one. pretty cool. As best as you can film thru plexiglass that is..lol I have 9 hatched and lots more in there. Two are still in there, with the shell off and curled up in the shell dead. Perfect zipping, then just died. sad
sad.png

but to compensate for the last humidity I had a wadded up wet warm paper towel ready to lay in the corner. The humidity never dropped and I was FAST!!!! lol

Do Not Worry About Opening The Bator. So Long As Chicks Are Hatching The Humidity Will Maintain Simply From The Wet Ones Drying Off In The Bator--- In Fact Most Times This Will Cause A Transient Humidity Spike(thats Why Some Of Your Didnt Fluff Up... Also Likely As To Why 2 Zipped And Died Without Hatching). As Soon As They Are Close To Dry Remove Them--- They Need Food/ Water Quickly And The Longer You Leave Them Tiny Lil Fuzzballz In There The More Chances You Will Have Of Malformation And Injury. Now Dont Get Me Wrong--- I Am Not Augmenting Throwing The Top Off The Bator And Perusing The Selection Like At 7-11's Drink Case..... Be Target Orientated--- Lift The Lid Far Enough To Reach In And Grab Your Targets And Close It Timely And Completely... All Will Be Fine
smile.png

Quote:
Nature's course is usually a lot tougher on the bird than a quick and humane ending. If it is truly deformed and likely to die a slow and agonizing death, please reconsider your position on this. If you're squeamish, find somebody who isn't, or get yourself a sharp pair of scissors and snip its head off under a hand towel.

Glad your hatch is going well.

UGCM

Quote:
Nature's course is usually a lot tougher on the bird than a quick and humane ending. If it is truly deformed and likely to die a slow and agonizing death, please reconsider your position on this. If you're squeamish, find somebody who isn't, or get yourself a sharp pair of scissors and snip its head off under a hand towel.

Glad your hatch is going well.

UGCM

I know I should be able to do that but I just can't. If it were real bad, I probably could. This one just had a deformed leg and foot. It died pretty quickly. I ended up with 22 of them.. And now.......... I have two geese cheeping in the bator... still in the eggs, but cheeping up a storm. out of 4 eggs. the other two are still quiet. They got really neglected with the quail activity and didnt get their cool down at all... ever... since mama goose abandoned them about two weeks ago. She left her nest and is trying to co parent with the babies of another goose. They pretty well both watch over the babies. Now if these new ones just had a mom.. hmmmmmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom