YO GEORGIANS! :)

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SeramaSweetie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Now that I've caught up and helped to address the chick issue.....

Problem came up with the new "pen" today. But it isn't all just a problem with the pen itself.

At the very bottom is about a 6-inch wide piece of plastic tarp that is supposed to fold under each side, and help keep bugs out of it in the uneven spots. The first day we set it up, we used rocks on that flap to stop the chickens from getting out. My sister said she planned to have her boys go into the pen, while I was at work, and hammer nails (or screws) down through that bottom flap every 8-12 inches or so, to keep it held down without rocks that could roll away.

I relied on them to get it done.

It didn't get done.

Three chickens got out today when strong winds forced those flaps to roll the rocks off of them. One has since been returned to the pen (Buddy, the only one I can always freely pick up without ANY fuss). One is roosting up in a tall tree, and hates being caught (black and white EE named "cookie"). And the third....

Was my gold polish rooster. There is no sign of him. Not even a big pile of feathers leftover from a struggle. That tells me it was MOST likely him getting out and getting picked up by a hawk. Ground predators usually leave signs of a struggle behind.

And if that isn't bad enough, my oldest nephew said he saw them out earlier, and didn't want to put them back because he didn't want to mess up anything about the screen arbor. I asked him what there is to mess up. He said he doesn't know, but he didn't want to mess up and have me yell at him.

I flatly told him there was no need to yell at him for any of it, but he would have to live with the fact that my good polish rooster died because he didn't do anything about chickens getting loose.

Now I've got 6 polish pullets due to show up on April 7th, and no rooster to go with them. Grrr....

2. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    what is a chicken railroad. ????

3. GAFarmGirl87

GAFarmGirl87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia

Oh my! I now have a new favorite online store, thanks to you ;)

Welcome! :)

4. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Well, let's see...My 18yr. old macho son has renamed Puffball (Tucker when he's in hunting barn-cat mode, but Babycakes when he feels like having a lapcat -he's called dibs on him when he gets his own apartment "Mom, you can get another cat easy"). My oldest, at 20, has snuggled Pepper and made plans to get treats tomorrow. Both older kids agree that Shadow looks like a super ninja cat who needs his space. The littlest zookeeper hasn't met them yet, thank goodness, or they'd all have Disney princess names and any shot I had of having actual working farm cats would be shot!! They're making themselves quite comfy in that coop, but we saw a little doghouse with a porch for sale nearby, and The Boy's girlfriend thinks the cats need it.

5. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    No answers? hmmmm

6. ChristyinGA

ChristyinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    What kind of polish do you need? I have a white crested black that came from McMurray. But he's only 2 weeks old.

7. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    It's this interconnected web of GA BYC peeps who are within driving distance of each other's houses and can swap birds/chicks/eggs and/or help transport them to one another along the line!

8. GAFarmGirl87

GAFarmGirl87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia

Oh no! *groan* That's terrible! Last year I had some free range game disappear like that, without a trace. Hopefully your boy will find his way home!!

9. GAMarans

GAMarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    Georgia
    I'll smuggle out some of Robo's waterfowl ... [​IMG]

You got turkey action, yet?

10. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Think: Underground railroad. It was a network of those sympathetic to slaves who helped move them north to freedom. The chicken railroad helps moves chickens to... whoever wants them! LOL!

For example, you live on the AL line along I-20. GAM and Roboduck live somewhat close to that. If you had chickens that I wanted, I might ask them to pick them up. ABMaddox has been to their house before, and would probably make another trip up there. She could then pick up the chickens from GAM and Roboduck for me. Then I could drive to her house (which is about 20-ish miles away) and pick the chickens up from abmaddox. No one makes a HUGE trip, but eventually the chicken gets to the person wanting it!

Just looked up abmaddox's house from mine, and it says 22.8 miles. Add that to whatever she drove to get to GAM and Roboduck's house, and it's a huge haul for me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by