YO GEORGIANS! :)

Glad the pattern helped, we had cockatiels and I bought one but was so hard to use. We just kept a spit rag on our shoulders. We had a sun conure who saved all night her poop so b4 we would take her out we would make her go "poop" then she could get out of her cage and sit with us.

Wow, all night? Yikes. My Hahn's Macaw purposely tries to run off of me to go poop when I'm holding her. It's so funny, she'll just suddenly take off down my arm, and I know not to worry, because she's just trying to keep her poop off of me!

I finally took pics of our current set up. The fence still needs wire attached to a few sides and latches on the coop door and nesting boxes. The run is about 6.5'h x 24'x 22'. I still need to adjust the roosts in the coop. I can't tell how many hens could comfortably roost in there. Space inside is open from floor to ceiling, about 5'h x 3'w x 4.5' deep. Im guessing. I did not build the coop, but I did build the fence. I would love feedback please.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I finally took pics of our current set up. The fence still needs wire attached to a few sides and latches on the coop door and nesting boxes. The run is about 6.5'h x 24'x 22'. I still need to adjust the roosts in the coop. I can't tell how many hens could comfortably roost in there. Space inside is open from floor to ceiling, about 5'h x 3'w x 4.5' deep. Im guessing. I did not build the coop, but I did build the fence. I would love feedback please.[IMG][IMG][IMG]

[URL='https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6345248/'][IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6345248/width/200/height/400[/URL]
Cute coop! That is a concept I haven't seen before. Is there a lip on the nesting boxes? Something to keep nesting material in and keep eggs from rolling out? The chickens might want some addl privacy on the nesting box as well...not sure if it is too open for them right by the big opening. We are just getting started (again) with chickens, and my girls are a few weeks away from laying, so I am NOT speaking from experience!!!!!

Cute coop!  That is a concept I haven't seen before.  Is there a lip on the nesting boxes?  Something to keep nesting material in and keep eggs from rolling out?  The chickens might want some addl privacy on the nesting box as well...not sure if it is too open for them right by the big opening.  We are just getting started (again) with chickens, and my girls are a few weeks away from laying, so I am NOT speaking from experience!!!!!
I agree about the lip but my besting boxes are open in front and top. No privacy and all my girls lay fine so I don't think that will be an issue

Question-

My husband is annoying me about this so I need an answer.

My kids have been collecting some of the feathers that the chickens drop. My husband says it's not safe because he thinks they are going to get salmonella. I don't see an issue with the feather collecting. Chickens came from Meyer hatchery. They are 10 weeks and we have never visited anywhere that has chickens. Well except tractor supply.

Is it ok for them to collect the feathers?
Should they wash them or are they fine?
Or should they just get raked up and thrown in the poop pile?

My kids pick them up around the coop but not out further in the yard where i see wild birds a lot. Not so Mich because of the boys health because they wash their hands well after playing with anything outside. But because if they get one that a wild bird with lice or mites has touches and then go to see the chickens. Boom flock has lice/mites.

I have picked up nearly every animal in Georgia and animal parts my whole life. I have never caught a disease from any of them. Jenna mentioned the only concern that I would have and that's possible cross contamination of parasites. But I have no concerns about my kids playing with bird feathers, domestic or otherwise. Anthrax occurs naturally in dirt and I certainly don't tell them not to play outside.

I need some advice guys. We have a flock of free range chickens that go out every morning and go back at night. I was thinking about letting my ducks out to go with the chickens when they get big enough but I'm really worried about one of our dogs. He's fine with the chickens as whenever there's even a sign of trouble they all crowd around him. The reason I'm bringing this up is because every time I walk the ducks to the house to get a bath or play inside he is very agitated and whines attempting to run up at them. He states at them across the yard whimpering and pacing. I really don't know what to do about this and would really appreciate some help.

Back
Top Bottom