YO GEORGIANS! :)

Alright so I have decided to keep my easter egg rooster. So now I have a decision to make. What incubator should i get / build. It looks like broody hens are a real gamble so I would rather some consistency. I am really into the whole automated chicken raising so an incubator that I can check once a day or so would be good.

D.gif

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I love reading all of your posts but rarely have time to respond. I never knew getting started with chickens could be so time consuming:). After finishing our coop a month or so ago, I realized I wanted a few things changed to make my life a little easier. This past weekend was spent entirely running water lines over to the coop and installing an automatic waterer using the nipple system. Never again will I have to crawl under the coop to get the bucket with nipples out and fill it. I didn't like not being able to physically see how much water they had so I crawled under there often. If I had it to do over again I would have raised the coop another foot or so off of the ground. Next we will be building an auto feeder and take out the hanging feeder that also hangs under the coop. The tank for the auto waterer uses a toilet refill valve inside of a piece of 4 inch pvc pipe. When they drink, it automatically fills back up directly from the water line. Many thanks to my sweet hubby for doing such an awesome job. Pics will follow tomorrow:)
I got started this year and seem to have gone through the same transitions you have. I haven't done the auto feeder yet as the 30lb feeder only needs filling once a week, but I did finish my toilet flange system about a week ago. I would like to get the door to the run automated so it would close on its own. That way I could open in the morning and check everybody then it could close at night fall. I know they make automatic doors, but I will probably just build something using the dusk till dawn timer from my bug zapper.

Anyway congratulations on your build, the auto waterer will make life allot less stressful. Make sure and post pics.

So the Dog/chicken situation was a leap into the unknown for me and my wife. At first the dogs were not very fond of the chickens and attempted to cull their little lives short. It took several weeks of yelling at the dogs and keeping the chickens pinned up before I felt comfortable with them together without supervision. It wasn't until the Dogs figured out how great chicken poop smelled and apparently tastes that they now only chase the chickens when I tell them to get them out of the garden(they kind of herd them). Below is Luke who not only went out and rolled in poop but also gorged himself on it. He was very proud of himself. He promptly received a bath and a greenie for his breath.

So the Dog/chicken situation was a leap into the unknown for me and my wife. At first the dogs were not very fond of the chickens and attempted to cull their little lives short. It took several weeks of yelling at the dogs and keeping the chickens pinned up before I felt comfortable with them together without supervision. It wasn't until the Dogs figured out how great chicken poop smelled and apparently tastes that they now only chase the chickens when I tell them to get them out of the garden(they kind of herd them). Below is Luke who not only went out and rolled in poop but also gorged himself on it. He was very proud of himself. He promptly received a bath and a greenie for his breath.

Yes yes... Chicken poop is a favorite in my house too. All 3 dogs eat it, its nasty, I try to keep them away from it as much as possible though. Only Chika rolls in it though. She rolls, gets a bath, and then rolls again the next day. She did it 4 days in a row a few weeks ago. Cute dog by the way

Oh, I love him!!!!!!!!! He does look proud, doesn't he! He is similar to our little dog! After he eats his breath thingy, give him a kiss for me!

Back
Top Bottom