YO GEORGIANS! :)

I would consider getting a turkey to grow out. Does anyone know where I could find one in or around statesboro?

Unfortunately, I don't. I'm getting some more eggs from @mrsdszoo from a larger breed. I didn't realize that Royal Palms (which is what I have) aren't very big, and definitely aren't close to your "thanksgiving feast" turkey's size! Although I love how they look, they just aren't all that big (10-16 lbs, live).

But Mrsdszoo raises Narragansetts and she is selling me some of their eggs to hatch and raise. The hens are still relatively small - about 14 pounds - but the toms can get up in the low 20's, making them better for a family meal.

So definitely make sure you do your research on the breeds and their sizes before you commit.

Last edited:
ok you guys, I need your help. Lately I have noticed that a few of my adult hens have dirty 'pants'. They use to have nice fluffy butts, but these few have dirty butts. I've never had this before. Is this worms? Are they just needing baths? what other issues cause dirty butts? Thanks

Well, I looked up dirty butt and found that a lot of people experience dirty butt with their chickens. (I can see a comment coming from Roboduck here). I am feeling better in that it is very common and probably has to do with the chickens having poop changes due to the change I just made in their feed. I will give the worst ones baths tomorrow.

Well, I looked up dirty butt and found that a lot of people experience dirty butt with their chickens. (I can see a comment coming from Roboduck here).
Do these same people bathe with their chickens afterwards?

Didn't want to disappoint.
cool.png

Well, I looked up dirty butt and found that a lot of people experience dirty butt with their chickens. (I can see a comment coming from Roboduck here). I am feeling better in that it is very common and probably has to do with the chickens having poop changes due to the change I just made in their feed.  I will give the worst ones baths tomorrow. 

Yes, although it's more commonly called pasty butt.

I would consider getting a turkey to grow out. Does anyone know where I could find one in or around statesboro?

As ChickDancer mentioned, I have Narragansetts. I have eggs in the incubator due on the 11th. Depending on how many hatch, I may be able to find a ride for a poult or two to your neck of the woods. My oldest assistant zookeeper has her summer job down there, and she'll be home for visits occasionally. She won't mind an extra passenger on the way back, I bet.

Hey Peeps; it's just steady busy these days at the zoo, so not much computer free time for me. I have been reading the forum evry other day or so, so that I still get my fix of the GA chicken news. I'm going to try to summarize what I've been up to;

Abmaddox and I went to an egg candling class in Adairsville last week; we are now licensed egg candlers, woohoo! Now if I just had enough laying hens to regularly supply a farmer's market...

I have no more adult roosters besides my Silky at the farm (because their crazy mean butts had to go); but I have several in the juvenile pen who are just beginning to try out their crows -Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, and a Sumatra/EE mix (Oh, and General Pepper -whose breed I always forget). So far, none are seeming to be mean, but I'm keeping my eye on them. Anyone need a rooster?

I have some super cute Rhodebars at the farm, and I love them. I also have 11 of 14 Crested Cream Legbar eggs in the incubator, due on the 10th. Thanks Rocky Rhodes :)
My ducks are doing really well, and are really popular with visitors. The youngest are about half feathered now.

Also in the incubator are Narragansett turkeys, two random BO eggs that I accidentally put in with the hatching eggs, and AM/EE eggs from my crop surgery girl, Elizabeth. All of the eggs have staggered hatch dates, and I forgot to put the first egg in lockdown yesterday. As I was putting it into the hatcher tonight, I candled it and saw the internal pip -and when I set it in the hatcher, I noticed that my fat finger was covering an external pip! Poor little chick was nearly forgotten and would have tried to hatch in the turner! I will be a nervous wreck from here on out, as I wait for the various birds to hatch all the way through the 19th!

Lastly, Abmaddox and I went to a rabbit show in FL. as exhibitors this weekend, and we came home with a ribbon, a trophy, and new bunnies for each of us. We are definitely hooked. Still hunting for a new farm for Abmaddox and Chickenrunner -keep them in your thoughts.

Phew. Any questions?

Back
Top Bottom