YO GEORGIANS! :)

OH! A guy saw my Pilgrims yesterday and asked me about them. As we were talking he offered me 8 Mallard ducklings and some chickens. I go at 3:30 today to get the ducks. I have no idea what kind or how many chickens we're getting. But at the low low price of Free.ninetyfree... who cares what kind they are.
tongue2.gif

Actually yes, I do. I have a friend from Canada. She caught on pretty fast and GAM strikes me as a quick learner. Plus, I'm sure she'd agree to just about anything to work your nerves.

Quick learner? Really? You do realize she's completely hopeless in the "learning" department.... She's been with me for over 15 years.... nuff said.

A couple of years ago my daughter and son in law purchased four Silkie chicks from a woman in SC that raised Silkies. They knew nothing about chickens. One of the things the woman told them that was different about Silkies than other chickens was that, "Silkies don't roost". When my son in law made the coop for their Silkies he did not add a roost but did place a 2 x 4 on it's side to keep the Silkies from taking the bedding out of the coop with their feet when they went out into the run. After a while my daughter and son in law noticed that the Silkies were sleeping on the 2 x 4. Hmm...

I now have four Silkie chicks from their Silkies (ages from 3 weeks to 6 weeks) and one that I ordered from a hatchery (6 weeks old). Just let me say that the SC woman did not know what she was talking about. So far the Silkie chicks have been roosting right along with my other "regular" chicks in the brooder. This morning while I was cleaning the brooder one of the four week old Silkie chicks flew from the brooder floor and sat on the edge of the brooder.

But Silkies don't roost...
idunno.gif

The thing about this is that the roosts are usually too high for the silkies to get to since Silkies can't fly as well as the other breeds. So, I found I had to put a ladder system in our coop for the Silkie (that we use to have) to hop up to the top to roost with the big girls.

Oh, and about frostbite toes.....if your roosts are flat and wide, the chickens can sit on their toes and keep them warm. Round roosts don't work to prevent frostbite because they can't sit on their toes.

Back
Top Bottom