YO GEORGIANS! :)

Still in Alaska and my DH sends these photos!

Yea, one of our renters! Why did they have to choose the week I was out of town! Oh yea, and the snake was our 5 year resident black rat snake, Samantha. She found the door to coop not all the way shut at the bottom. Now I know why I wasn't getting more eggs!

Oh heck naw, I couldn't deal with that snake....

well we have a German wire haired pointer, it's in the dna to hunt birds. I shouldn't have been too angry with him, I'm literally taunting him with chickens on the other side of the fence. The electric fence was on but he didn't care when the gate was wide open!! Who owns chickens with a bird dog!?! Me.
A guy I know solved this issue by tying the dead chicken around the dogs neck and leaving it there until it rotted off. To this day that dog will not go near the chickens and the chickens will not go near it.

So, everyone has heard of Flat Stanley? It's the little cut out dude that school kids are suppose to send to friends/relatives in other places and have them take pictures and tell about the place. Well, years ago, I made all my children (who are all grown) a mom and dad cut out so they could always have us with them. They also take us with them on trips, and even had one daughter take us with her into surgery when we couldn't be there. The nurse actually took a photo of us with my daughter on the surgery table in the background! One of my daughters is going to Africa this week and guess who is going!

A guy I know solved this issue by tying the dead chicken around the dogs neck and leaving it there until it rotted off. To this day that dog will not go near the chickens and the chickens will not go near it.
wow, that is kinda gross. Don't think I could do it, our dog comes inside our house. We tried a bark deterrent that emits a high pitched sounds when he barks near the coop. It worked 2 days, then he didn't care anymore. So, now I'm back to the drawing board.

I had go back threw my coop and run to keep them out. Had a 3 foot back snake last month. A friend of mine had 3 five foot or better garter snakes in his coop.

wow, that is kinda gross. Don't think I could do it, our dog comes inside our house. We tried a bark deterrent that emits a high pitched sounds when he barks near the coop. It worked 2 days, then he didn't care anymore. So, now I'm back to the drawing board.
Yeah I bought electronic collars with remotes for my dogs, but I haven't had to use them. The chickens are getting braver every day though. Today a hen went up stuck her beak 2 inches from the big dogs nose. The dog then snapped at her. I scolded the dog, but it might be time to lock the chickens in the run for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom