YO GEORGIANS! :)

I admit that I don't really love the GA heat and yet I am not sure how I feel about a week of rain. Granted I will not have to water the garden but I actually like doing so each evening. With the rain we will not be able to do much yard work and there is always so much to be done. Of course that mean more time for things like curling up with tea and good books.... I am betting the chickens could use a break from the heat and sun!

I use pine shavings and hay, no boards. My coops are completely dried in, and I have no fly problems. Last year the flies were terrible! I had not gotten my coops completely dry and the smell was pretty bad also. Once they were dry, the smell and the flies disappeared. I rake them out pretty often and add fresh pine shavings. Clean and dry = No Flies.

I use wheat straw and that works really well. Keeps things pretty dry, its cheap and they like to pick the scraps of seed heads when its fresh straw. And we keep all the used straw in a compost pile we will till into the garden this fall.

Last edited:
Hey southern dad I'm at work ill get back with you this evening if that's ok

No problem. That work thing always getting in the way of hobbies.
smile.png

Your coop is awesome and you made use of good materials most people throw away. +1 for you

I appreciate that comment. I am making progress on the coop. However, I've learned that I made a few mistakes.

• Moving the nesting box to the side so it will be outside of the fenced area for egg collection
  • Painting the inside with gloss paint so make cleaning up the poo a whole lot easier
  • Much bigger door to get in for cleaning out
  • Build a 3" deep tray inside for sand or mulch
  • Better positioning of the roosting bars
  • Poop trays under the roosting bars
  • Windows with machine cloth for the kids to look in at lower level

The problem is, that to do all of this, I need to house the chickens somewhere else while doing it. I'm thinking of building or getting a small coop that can be the hens home when I'm doing a remodel.

Back
Top Bottom