YO GEORGIANS! :)

Little late to the party here, but if you're still in the chicken business I'm in Ringgold too! We could do a swap when my babies get a bit bigger!

Well
well, I started with my 8 buffs. Then I got a Roo, then I got 4 more, then 6 more... Putting in an order tomorrow with Ideal.
Ugh. Someone tell me how to stop! Haha
big_smile.png
You can't stop! It's a disease that takes over. LOL!

We are thinking of adding some additional space to our run, but it will not be covered on top, there are some trees overhead for some coverage. From yall's experience, how often do hawks take grown chickens? And do y'all think the trees would provide some protection from a diving hawk?

What chicken breeds are your favorite? And what breed(s) are the hatching eggs?
I think the regular chickens, RIR, Buffs, Australorps, Brown Leghorns, etc are the backbones of any flock, but I also like variety. I don't have any two chickens that look alike except for two Welsummers. The others are all different breeds/colors. I like to be able to tell one chicken from the next. They all have names and I can tell who is who! One of my favorite chicken type is the Easter Egger. They are NOT a breed. (They won't breed true) They come in every color and mine all lay large eggs in all different shades of blues, greens and pinkish tones! They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get! I've had yellowish chicks feather out to be mostly black hens! hahah! And waiting to see what color eggs you get is sooo fun! Easter Eggers are also friendly and more hearty than my other chickens. Most have those cute little beards, too! I also like Naked Necks because they are so different. Mine lay nice green eggs. You can look at my signature and see the other breeds I have!

The chicks I have that are a month old are: Black Orpington (roo), Splash Orpington (roo), Blue Brahma (roo), Swedish Flower Hen (may be a roo), Cuckoo Silkie (have a pair). The ones hatching are Crested Cream Legbar, Rhodebars, Easter Eggers and some assorted mixed Marans. Some of these will be Olive Eggers.

An Easter Egger giving me the "stink eye"! LOL

One of my Naked Necks

Baby frizzle Naked Neck

Another Easter Egger

Silver and Gold Laced Wyandottes

Chickens, chickens, everywhere!

Where is Bargain located? I'm in Northwest GA too! And a bit late to the party
tongue.png

@stinkysneakers use the "Quote" button when you reply, it's at the bottom right of each post, it helps people figure out who you're talking to. Also the "Multi" button if you're replying to multiple posts. Just hit "Multi" on each post you want to reply to, then hit "Reply".

Bargain is the Garry Farm in Bowdon, GA. I've bought hatching eggs from her that I picked up at the Carrolton Farmer's Market, nice family.

The only large one I know about is Poultry Hollow which delivers to Chattanooga and Knoxville. I've been fairly pleased with the business I've done with them. I also like to get together with farmers from the local farmers markets and arrange hatching egg purchases. Just be careful with that because they are often geared toward egg production so they have fewer roosters which can mean shoddy fertilization rates. Other than that I always pull over when I pass by a home with chickens and talk poultry for a spell if the owners are willing. You can meet some nice folks that way. I'm a little wary of craigslist but there are always plenty of listings in the area for young poultry and eggs. It can kind of be hit or miss there, but you can still arrange to meet in person and/or tour their setup, which is good. Tractor Supply tends to come with mixed reviews. At the one near me in Fort Oglethorpe they have chicks every spring. If you order something special in there is a six chick minimum or if you just walk in to the store they'll have displays of day old chicks of more common varieties from which you can choose as many or as few as you want. They also have poultry events a couple times a year at TSC where you can meet to buy and sell birds on a Saturday morning. My advice there is do your homework, plan to haggle, and come early! I'd say use ordering online as a last resort. I've have some smashing successes and some dismal failures with shipped eggs. Although I've never ordered live chicks online. I joined this thread to find local chicken folk and meet reliable sources of eggs and chicks so if you meet one near us send them my way! I'm raising some barnyard "mutts," Easter Eggers, and a few mystery birds from various sources. When they get bigger and if you're ever so inclined, private message me and we can set up a swap!
Great information! Thank you so much! I will be doing my homework on all of that! If you are ever down this way you are welcome to come see our set up! My best friend and I would love to come see yours if you are willing! We really are just looking to chat with someone who knows chickens in this area. We are both newbies, but have really fallen hard for this "hobby". I will for sure be talking to TSC. I'm there once a week, but the young ladies don't like to talk much. Haha I prefer speaking with the tall lady that keeps her hair pulled back. She's really nice. I've kept away from Craig's list- it can be a scary place in general. :) I did order day olds from ideal poultry and it was a nightmare. I got my 8 buffs from Flintstone farm and garden. They have a standard assortment and I am pretty sure they get their stock from Murray. I really would love some well bred birds. Looking for some specialties. What breeds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom