YO GEORGIANS! :)

The two dead birds were 100% in tact they were only dead from a bite wound. The 3rd bird was missing with no feathers left behind. A dog would have left much more evidence behind than 2 cleanly killed birds.

The two dead birds were 100% in tact they were only dead from a bite wound. The 3rd bird was missing with no feathers left behind. A dog would have left much more evidence behind than 2 cleanly killed birds.

We had a bear tear the door off our coop two years ago. 7 chickens and one duck were killed. Only two were actually eaten. (Found their feet). The others seemed to be untouched. They may have killed over from a heart attack. There are still some bears roaming this time of year.

When I had that problem I set some live traps around the coop baited with the "leftovers" of the attack. I'm not sure if I caught the original perpetrator or just someone cleaning up its mess, but so far I've caught two possums, a racoon, and a skunk. Cameras are a good idea. I've also heard of people buying wolf pee granules to sprinkle around the area.

So one of my regular customers came in today who always talks to me about chickens came in today. His birds were 16 weeks and coming up on POL age. Last night something ripped the bottom 2 planks of his lap siding off the coop and 2 of his birds were dead but in tact and 1 was missing. From all evidence gathered from his information and his pictures we can only come up with a weasel. First time i've heard of a weasel attack in Georgia but that's the only thing we can figure.
When I had that problem I set some live traps around the coop baited with the "leftovers" of the attack. I'm not sure if I caught the original perpetrator or just someone cleaning up its mess, but so far I've caught two possums, a racoon, and a skunk. Cameras are a good idea. I've also heard of people buying wolf pee granules to sprinkle around the area.

I bought live traps and a trail cam this week so that if nothing else I will know what's creeping around my house at night.

Interesting first for me last night ... my live trap captured an adult drake Muscovy.
th.gif

When I had that problem I set some live traps around the coop baited with the "leftovers" of the attack.  I'm not sure if I caught the original perpetrator or just someone cleaning up its mess, but so far I've caught two possums, a racoon, and a skunk.  Cameras are a good idea.  I've also heard of people buying wolf pee granules to sprinkle around the area.  

Wolf pee? Really?

The nearest wolf pack to Georgia is over 1000 miles away, unless you count those coy/wolf mutts in NC.

FYI coyote, red fox, grey fox, bobcat and wolf urines are sold by the gallon by trapping supply houses as an attractant lure.

Back
Top Bottom