YO GEORGIANS! :)

That's great @Mylied . I anxious to get started. None of our fruit trees have bloomed yet. Peach tree went straight to leaf, and we're still waiting to see what the pear trees will do.

As for the bees, it may take me awhile to get used to handling them. I've checked out a lot of videos, and there are so many different methods beekeepers use. The folks who just go in with bare hands and just start pulling out frames are impressive. I don't know how they avoid getting stung, even with a smoker going.

I ran across this video on the Himalayan honey bees. Crazy, huge bees. Crazy honey. Crazy way to harvest it.

I don't mess with mine a lot. Just make sure they're alive and doing their bee thing. As long as you're calm, slow, and careful, they won't sting you. The class I took, they said don't use gloves because it teaches you to be careful. I don't use gloves. I got stung once because I squashed a bee on accident. The last time I opened the hive, they had the lid glued on good. I jerked it too hard pulling it off and made them mad. My sister and I tried to calm them, but one stung her and that was that. They smell the pheromone and stay mad. You got to close it up and try again later.

I am loving this weather. Everything is blooming and it smells so good out.

I also don't think I shared my Valentine's pics of Honey. That chicken owner's bucket list was my inspiration. I hadn't dressed up a chicken for a holiday. I think she looks like an 80's girl.
20180221_160916.jpg
20180221_160830.jpg
20180214_210508.jpg
20180214_210315.jpg

My multi-quote isn't working and I am too lazy to go back and reply individually so ...

welcome to the new member outside of Atlanta ... Jack, when are you getting bees? I LOVE sourwood honey and it sells for good money ... hi everyone

Went to P.O. this morning and heard baby chicks! So, after all my running around, stopped at TS. They were just putting them out. Of course I got in a tuff with one of the workers because I told him the ‘Ameraucanas’ weren’t real ones. They were Easter Eggers. He totally shut down and ignored me! Hahaha! Some people never learn!

Went to P.O. this morning and heard baby chicks! So, after all my running around, stopped at TS. They were just putting them out. Of course I got in a tuff with one of the workers because I told him the ‘Ameraucanas’ weren’t real ones. They were Easter Eggers. He totally shut down and ignored me! Hahaha! Some people never learn!
I looked at them too today. They only had barred rocks, asians, and some other kind I don't remember: yellow with a few tiny black spots. They sure are cute. But I resisted and didn't buy any.

My multi-quote isn't working and I am too lazy to go back and reply individually so ...

welcome to the new member outside of Atlanta ... Jack, when are you getting bees? I LOVE sourwood honey and it sells for good money ... hi everyone
I've had bees. Bruce is getting some new ones.
Are you going to come do mushroom logs this weekend?

I looked at them too today. They only had barred rocks, asians, and some other kind I don't remember: yellow with a few tiny black spots. They sure are cute. But I resisted and didn't buy any.
Our TS had different ones than yours then.. Barred rocks, RIR, Easter eggers, bantams, ducks, ISA browns, black sex links, cornish rocks, & amberlinks. I love love love easter eggers! I am thinking I many need some more! LOL Like 70 chickens in the coop and 80 eggs in the incubator and 15 specialty chicks coming in June isn't bad enough!

My Momma bought me some chicks at TSC up in Ellijay, GA Wednesday! 2 White Leghorn, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Asian Blue/Black whatever they are lol Then today I got my order of 15 (but they gave me 3 extra) Easter Eggers. So I started out wanting like 6 total, and now have 24 chicks in a brooder in my townhouse...We are moving up to the homestead in the next month or so!

Back
Top Bottom