YO GEORGIANS! :)

Are you asking about ordinances or type of housing? It gets pretty cold here in the winter. As far as any county or city ordinances, I'm not sure about that. You came to the right thread though. I'm sure someone from that area will be able to answer all of your questions. I live in Gilmer Co., it's not far from Dahlonega, but it's a different county.
We have a small house on two acres in the woods, we have been visiting for the past 12 years. Yes, it does get cold. I need to learn how to manage my chickens in the cold. I was hoping someone in the area with experience could help me. I have 10 hens and one very gentlemanly rooster. I have no chicken coop. Thanks for your reply

We have a small house on two acres in the woods, we have been visiting for the past 12 years. Yes, it does get cold. I need to learn how to manage my chickens in the cold. I was hoping someone in the area with experience could help me. I have 10 hens and one very gentlemanly rooster. I have no chicken coop. Thanks for your reply
I live in Dawsonville, right next door to Dahlonega.. The cold won't hurt your chickens, but you need to be prepared to protect them from predators! We have coyotes and bears and raccoons and possums and eagles and hawks! Mine go in the coop at night and get locked up.....every night! We have hardware cloth that goes down into the ground a foot and makes an L. That is to keep predators from digging under.
The heat can hurt them in the summer...they will need a place with shade.

I live in Dawsonville, right next door to Dahlonega.. The cold won't hurt your chickens, but you need to be prepared to protect them from predators! We have coyotes and bears and raccoons and possums and eagles and hawks! Mine go in the coop at night and get locked up.....every night! We have hardware cloth that goes down into the ground a foot and makes an L. That is to keep predators from digging under.
The heat can hurt them in the summer...they will need a place with shade.
Thank you. That's what I need to hear. I'll keep definitely do that. My run in FL only has chicken wire. Our raccoons are a lot smaller than in GA. I used a cement footer all around the coop I've never seen any signs of digging from the outside going in. Would a footer work in GA?

Dalton, NW Ga
Does anyone know how I can transport 10 hens and 1 rooster to GA from FL. It's a 12 hour drive. I don't have cages or a trailer. I may have to rent something. I saw during the hurricane last summer they wrapped chickens in towels to go from Key West to Miami, I don't think that would work for a 12 trip.

Thank you. That's what I need to hear. I'll keep definitely do that. My run in FL only has chicken wire. Our raccoons are a lot smaller than in GA. I used a cement footer all around the coop I've never seen any signs of digging from the outside going in. Would a footer work in GA?

I've got a family of raccoons that live in a tree in my neighbor's yard and luckily they've never bothered my chickens. I know they've been in my yard because I got three on my game cam. They're massive because they eat my neighbor's cat food. I've got electric around my coop, but I've never seen any sign of digging. Everything I've read says you don't have to dig down, just lay out 2 feet of 1/2" hardware cloth around the perimeter of your coop and they won't dig in. They're not smart enough to back up the 2' and dig, they try to dig right at the fence and can't get through it, so they're stymied. You can use landscape staples to hold it in place or bricks or something until the grass grows up through it and then it'll stay there.

Does anyone know how I can transport 10 hens and 1 rooster to GA from FL. It's a 12 hour drive. I don't have cages or a trailer. I may have to rent something. I saw during the hurricane last summer they wrapped chickens in towels to go from Key West to Miami, I don't think that would work for a 12 trip.
I'd get a dog kennel. I think being immobile for 12 hrs would be too much.

I've got a family of raccoons that live in a tree in my neighbor's yard and luckily they've never bothered my chickens. I know they've been in my yard because I got three on my game cam. They're massive because they eat my neighbor's cat food. I've got electric around my coop, but I've never seen any sign of digging. Everything I've read says you don't have to dig down, just lay out 2 feet of 1/2" hardware cloth around the perimeter of your coop and they won't dig in. They're not smart enough to back up the 2' and dig, they try to dig right at the fence and can't get through it, so they're stymied. You can use landscape staples to hold it in place or bricks or something until the grass grows up through it and then it'll stay there.
Oh, that sounds a lot easier than pouring a footer. All that cement, Blah! The grass is the other thing I'm worried about. We'll be in the woods. There is no grass, only leaves and pine needles. Can chickens be happy in an environment like that? Here in FL I let my chickens roam outside for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Is that a bad idea in GA? The other thing I am thinking about is maybe buying a tool shed and converting it to a chicken coop and then build a run out from that. In FL we built a house with 3 open sides (just posts with chicken wire on the open sides) I close off the open sides with greenhouse plastic in the winter when we have our 5 days of cold windy weather. I would need something more substantial in GA. Would you know where I could get the most economical shed? I really appreciate the information. Thanks again.

I'd get a dog kennel. I think being immobile for 12 hrs would be too much.
Someone wrote that people travel 12 hours to take there chickens to shows. They use chicken transport crates. The chickens can move around. I read to travel at night and provide only water. We have a mini van, I'd have to have the chickens, (hopefully sleeping), a dog, a cat, a husband and me. It's going to be nuts.(I have to find some used transport crates, or rent them from someone.) It would be too expensive to buy so many crates. Maybe I could get two chickens in each one. I'd put the buddies together and then the rooster separate. If I can get my hands on 6 crates everything might fit. I have a few months to figure it out. But, I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom