YO GEORGIANS! :)

I'm hoping others will chime in here too, but I wouldn't think it would be too late to get chicks in April (ie after your spring break travel) but maybe someone else has a better idea?

Chicks, tweens and teenage chicks can get into trouble (overturned water or food), fighting, etc, so unless your chick watcher is experienced I might not want to put that kind of tending in someone else's care.

If they are experienced, maybe they'd be willing to keep the chicks a week?? Chicks always manage to start jumping out of the brooder before I think they should be able to, too. Plus during that awkward tween stage they somehow manage to poop more out than they manage to take in as food (it's A-Ma-Zing)
tongue.png
means a lot of brooder, food & water cleaning...
Thank you...I have checked Meyer and they don't have the ones I'm looking for until MAY! So I guess I'll see if they can stay with my aunt (who has chickens of her own) for those 4-5 days in her brooder (with a lid)! They need to be 8 weeks or so before they're ready for the coop, right? Or at least fully feathered?

D.gif
Just letting folks know, to look out for Bald Eagles in the Cairo Area. Had one circling the house this afternoon, checking out my chickens. My roo was doing his job and looking out for his girls, he'd make noises and the girls would run over to the privacy fence under the bushes.
They have been getting more abundant just in the last 10 yrs in the area, it has become a common sight, and people don't even get excited about it much here anymore. It has been nothing to see a momma and daddy flying with fledglings between Cairo and Tallahassee, Fl., over the plantation areas. They have nests at Chiles High on top of the Stadium lights, and nests out at Summit East on Hwy 90 East in Tallahassee. Besides the Eagles, we have had owls in the evening and hawks during the day, scoping out my little flock. My husband and I are forever vigilant about our outside family addition(addiction)!
big_smile.png

Adding some ducks to the flock this weekend!!! So excited getting them tomorrow hopefully!!! Pekins and maybe some khaki Campbells latter on.

Last edited:
What is the best watering system for a flock of 8-10 chickens? I've seen hanging waterers, pipe systems with little nibs that they peck at etc. If you use a pip system how do you clean out the inside of the pipe?

What is the best watering system for a flock of 8-10 chickens? I've seen hanging waterers, pipe systems with little nibs that they peck at etc. If you use a pip system how do you clean out the inside of the pipe?

I have a 5 gallon waterer they all take different turns.

My uncle uses a PVC pipe system. It's very handy.

Last edited:
Since I am building my coop and hopefully will be knocking he run out next weekend...I'm thinking ahead now to automatic watering and feeding possibilities. It's not that I want my chickens to think their Mama is a Robot, but I work a full time job to. I'd like to make this as efficient at possible. I have a water spout fairly near that I could run a line to. In looking at the different types of watering systems it seems the little red nibs are the best idea. now how to get the water from the house to the nibs is the million dollar question.

Back
Top Bottom