YO GEORGIANS! :)

@AHenry If you are on Facebook I found a feed/pet store in Savannah and they posted a Tour de Coop thing that the Savannah Urban Garden Alliance hosts. You may find some blue eggs through them if you go ahead and contact someone. The Tour is set for Dec7 so that may be too late. Here are the facebook links: https://www.facebook.com/EconomyFeed for Economy Feed and http://Savannah Urban Garden Alliance for the Garden club. Hope these help!
big_smile.png

@AHenry
 If you are on Facebook I found a feed/pet store in Savannah and they posted a Tour de Coop thing that the Savannah Urban Garden Alliance hosts. You may find some blue eggs through them if you go ahead and contact someone. The Tour is set for Dec7 so that may be too late. Here are the facebook links: https://www.facebook.com/EconomyFeed for Economy Feed and http://Savannah Urban Garden Alliance for the Garden club. Hope these help! :D

I volunteer with the Savannah Urban Garden Alliance, and last I heard, tickets are still available. Our coop isn't in the tour ... we live too far out, but it's a great way to meet people in the chicken community. It's my understanding that Savannah is becoming much more chicken friendly.

Got my first "sick" hen. So I have an Americana who has a pale comb and it looks as though she is loosing feathers. She is less than a year old. I caught her yesterday and dusted her with DE in hopes its mites or parasites, but I think it may be a respiratory issue or worse. She is still running around and she is eating at least the scratch grains I throw down, but she is more skid-dish and definitely not looking 100%. I cleaned out the coop which had allot more poo than I have had to clean before(Been busy doing other stuff) I dusted it and the laying boxes with DE. I added vitamins to their food and water. I wormed them in late August/July and really don't wanna do that with the holidays here(need the eggs). She is the only one off the lay.

I spent $30 on vitamins and DE so I'm done spending money, but if you guys have home remedies I should try that do not result in having to give up the eggs for weeks let me know. I do have wazine, but as I stated i rather not do that till after the holidays as your supposed to give up the eggs for 2-3 weeks.

Got my first "sick" hen. So I have an Americana who has a pale comb and it looks as though she is loosing feathers. She is less than a year old. I caught her yesterday and dusted her with DE in hopes its mites or parasites, but I think it may be a respiratory issue or worse. She is still running around and she is eating at least the scratch grains I throw down, but she is more skid-dish and definitely not looking 100%. I cleaned out the coop which had allot more poo than I have had to clean before(Been busy doing other stuff) I dusted it and the laying boxes with DE. I added vitamins to their food and water. I wormed them in late August/July and really don't wanna do that with the holidays here(need the eggs). She is the only one off the lay.

I spent $30 on vitamins and DE so I'm done spending money, but if you guys have home remedies I should try that do not result in having to give up the eggs for weeks let me know. I do have wazine, but as I stated i rather not do that till after the holidays as your supposed to give up the eggs for 2-3 weeks.

Are you sure your hen isn't just going thru a molt? They lose their feathers and their comb gets pale and they stop laying eggs. It is a yearly thing usually this time of year. (or fallish) When some of my hens molt, they really go thru a personality change, too. I had one hen who was friendly and outgoing and always into everything. She lost so many feathers, it was horrible. She became withdrawn and, frankly, I think she was embarrassed. She would stay in the background and moop. Here is a photo of her when she started growing back her feathers. She looked worst than this before I finally decided to take a photo.

Are you sure your hen isn't just going thru a molt? They lose their feathers and their comb gets pale and they stop laying eggs. It is a yearly thing usually this time of year. (or fallish) When some of my hens molt, they really go thru a personality change, too. I had one hen who was friendly and outgoing and always into everything. She lost so many feathers, it was horrible. She became withdrawn and, frankly, I think she was embarrassed. She would stay in the background and moop. Here is a photo of her when she started growing back her feathers. She looked worst than this before I finally decided to take a photo.
I guess that is possible. I just thought because of her age she wasn't old enough to molt. As far as traumatizing goes catching her wasn't fun for either of us. After getting dusted she went directly into the coop and roosted for the night. Hopefully I didn't exacerbate the situation.
I could see where new feathers were coming in around her neck though so it might just be a molt.

took a quick pic.
She looks pretty naked! My first set of pullets molted when they were only 9-10 months old. I think it depends on when they were hatched in the course of the year. Seems most hens molt during the fall/winter. I know their are exceptions to this, but just seems that way to me. There is some new feed that is suppose to help hens get their feathers back faster. Higher protein. I think it is called feather fixer. Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom