YO GEORGIANS! :)

The amount of eggs I have been getting from our hens is down a bit now since I have two broody hens sitting on eggs for the New Years HAL. Seems quite a few of the girls want to be mamas too.
barnie.gif
I had hoped putting the broody moms (hopefully) to be in their own nest box separate from the other nest boxes would work but...

I got one of these

from the Salvation Army store

and turned it into this

They plenty of room in there and seem to like it. I hope the eggs hatch and the chicks are ok. It's my first hatch ever so saying I'm a bit nervous is a big understatement.
fl.gif

The amount of eggs I have been getting from our hens is down a bit now since I have two broody hens sitting on eggs for the New Years HAL. Seems quite a few of the girls want to be mamas too.
barnie.gif
I had hoped putting the broody moms (hopefully) to be in their own nest box separate from the other nest boxes would work but...

I got one of these

and turned it into this

They plenty of room in there and seem to like it. I hope the eggs hatch and the chicks are ok. It's my first hatch ever so saying I'm a bit nervous is a big understatement.
fl.gif

How cute is that! Great idea!

barnie.gif

I got one of these

and turned it into this

fl.gif

THAT IS SO GREAT!

For our Broody we put her in a small coop on her own, it worked well, specially after she had the chicks hatch, they had safe space of their own! Could you pen that nesting box in some place on it's own?

No, I didn't find the little Cuckoo Silkie. I guess he got out of the fenced yard and then the lady watching the chickens didn't notice he was missing. We were gone a week. Today while I was walking around the yard looking for him, I found a pile of broken eggs under my deck. They were obviously from the hen that always escapes. What bothered me was that apparently something was eating them. Maybe possum or raccoon, which means my little silkie could have been eaten by whatever was eating those eggs. Poor baby!

Back
Top Bottom