YO GEORGIANS! :)

She would take as many silkies as anyone would want to give her. But her coop will only hold so many. There may be room for one or two more but GAM would have to tell me if any of the current birds are just temporary residents. We sometimes put small birds in there until they're big enough to release with the bigger ones.
Oh ok. Just wanted to let y'all know first. I so hope we get to go to the chicken swap.

YAY! I wish I could have ducks but the DH said no.
sad.png
If he's like Robo you can just tell him they are a new kind of chicken. He'll never know.
big_smile.png

I sure wish my wife was that agreeable.
I agree to put up with you on a regular basis. That's already asking a lot.

I bet GAM is a wonderful wife and mother that loves her family, animals and has a lot... of patients.
Lots of patience. Lots and lots and lots.

That's exactly what she'd have you believe. However, she has decided to go to bed without feeding me tonight. My dinner was a Mojo Cliff bar for dinner and Oreos for dessert.
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Ducks. Are. Gross!! LOL. But like I said, I still love them.
Kind of how I feel about Robo.

I like this one.

hahaha, why would a man wear a crazy chicken lady shirt???? Just wrong!
I know a couple that it would suit well.

We started our chicken flock with eggs from California. Packaged properly, most of them will make it.
Packaging is the key ... a soft-sided bubble envelope is not the answer. LOL!

I just took a look at your design. Looks nice except, I would have the roosts go longways. Just imagine yourself being a chicken on the way to the nest...(like every day!). Will the chicken have to duck to pass under the roosts? And remember, there will be lots of poop under the roosts, so your chickens will have to walk over the poop, get it on their feet and hop into the nest with dirty feet. If there are other eggs in there, they will probably get dirtier than you would like. I would probably put the ramp on the front and the roosts along the whole back side. That would leave open most of the coop for walking around in. I think you had door under the coop....just make sure they are made big enough so you can get into them....to clean and to go after a chicken if you need to. Are there other vents in the top at the back, too? I will look again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look. Your suggestion makes tons of sense, so glad you saw it!
I am struggling a bit with the idea of the ventilation without a draft.I took the roof design from the "open air poultry houses book", in all his designs the roost are on the back side that does not have any openings. So if I put the roosts on lengthwise, only 3 feet would b draft free, the last 2 feet the chickens would have their heads right on the vent openings. I could not move the nests to the lower level, right? They like the nests higher?
I had initially thought of doing a barn style roof with the vents on the whole length above it. That would give me 5 feet of rosting space lengthwise,12" high up and the ventilation would in the middle, so no drafts on sleeping chicken. I could still keep the nests in the upper level, which is easier to gather and clean.

Back
Top Bottom