YO GEORGIANS! :)

@PapaChaz I'm putting a very small batch of MFD eggs in today. I have one other guy wanting chicks so you can either have these or the next batch which I'll probably put in next Sunday. Let me know which hatch you'd prefer. :) I can't wait to see how they do!

Also, GAM- I think I officially have a Brahma pullet laying! Had an egg this morning that is very small. Here it is beside one of my bantam eggs. Yay!!

@PapaChaz I'm putting a very small batch of MFD eggs in today. I have one other guy wanting chicks so you can either have these or the next batch which I'll probably put in next Sunday. Let me know which hatch you'd prefer.
smile.png
I can't wait to see how they do!

Also, GAM- I think I officially have a Brahma pullet laying! Had an egg this morning that is very small. Here it is beside one of my bantam eggs. Yay!!
Let me know if and when I can get any Brahma eggs from you. I still need to get your cage back to you. Ugh, sorry.

I know everyone talks about BO and RIR, but I've not had that good of an experience with them. One of my first chickens is a BO. She laid ok for the first 18 months and then has almost stopped. I get one out of her maybe every two months now and usually they are misshapened. She is 3 1/2 years old. Yea, I know what you are thinking, well, she's old, but my EEer who are the same age still lay almost every day! So, I'm not seeing the hype about BO. Not sure about the RIR. Mine laid well until the bear got her and she was still fairly young. My Naked Necks lay all the time, too.....all thru the winter. Of course, my NNs are mixed with EEer so they all lay colored eggs.

For this spring, I have ordered Speckled Sussex who lay large light brown (pinkish eggs), EEs, sex-linked (which I thought I would never want because they are kind-of dull looking chickens, but they are laying machines), and a couple of silver laced polish because I need some white eggs to make the colored ones pop in the cartons. And, my DH loves the crazy look of the Polish.

I know everyone talks about BO and RIR, but I've not had that good of an experience with them.  One of my first chickens is a BO.  She laid ok for the first 18 months and then has almost stopped.  I get one out of her maybe every two months now and usually they are misshapened.  She is 3 1/2 years old.  Yea, I know what you are thinking, well, she's old, but my EEer who are the same age still lay almost every day!  So, I'm not seeing the hype about BO.  Not sure about the RIR.  Mine laid well until the bear got her and she was still fairly young.  My Naked Necks lay all the time, too.....all thru the winter.  Of course, my NNs are mixed with EEer so they all lay colored eggs.   

For this spring, I have ordered Speckled Sussex who lay large light brown (pinkish eggs), EEs, sex-linked (which I thought I would never want because they are kind-of dull looking chickens, but they are laying machines), and a couple of silver laced polish because I need some white eggs to make the colored ones pop in the cartons.  And, my DH loves the crazy look of the Polish.
I totally agree!! I had one RIR hen who was an okay layer but just didn't have a good experience overall with her. She was the one who eventually just stopped thriving at just over a year old and died. The one RIR roo I ever had was an arse.

I've had two BO hens and wasn't at all impressed with either.

I love they way the Polish look. I have one all white rooster. I'm wanting to cross him with some of my silkies. The pictures on the Internet are awesome looking of silkieXPolish. I have a friend that bread orpingtons and silkies and she said that she was able to get the best traits from both breeds in her crosses. That's what I am hoping to do. I have never hatched eggs before. For a first timer, should I buy a brooder, or let the hens do it? And is there a perfect time of year to try? Like Spring?

I know everyone talks about BO and RIR, but I've not had that good of an experience with them. One of my first chickens is a BO. She laid ok for the first 18 months and then has almost stopped. I get one out of her maybe every two months now and usually they are misshapened. She is 3 1/2 years old. Yea, I know what you are thinking, well, she's old, but my EEer who are the same age still lay almost every day! So, I'm not seeing the hype about BO. Not sure about the RIR. Mine laid well until the bear got her and she was still fairly young. My Naked Necks lay all the time, too.....all thru the winter. Of course, my NNs are mixed with EEer so they all lay colored eggs.

For this spring, I have ordered Speckled Sussex who lay large light brown (pinkish eggs), EEs, sex-linked (which I thought I would never want because they are kind-of dull looking chickens, but they are laying machines), and a couple of silver laced polish because I need some white eggs to make the colored ones pop in the cartons. And, my DH loves the crazy look of the Polish.

Hello Flowerbh...I take it, based on your post that you sell eggs. I have given many-many dozens of eggs away. I'm thinking about selling eggs this year. We have only ever had BO's but I have 25 ISA browns scheduled to arrive the 1st of march. Are there any special rules I should know about...? Thanks!

I love they way the Polish look. I have one all white rooster. I'm wanting to cross him with some of my silkies. The pictures on the Internet are awesome looking of silkieXPolish. I have a friend that bread orpingtons and silkies and she said that she was able to get the best traits from both breeds in her crosses. That's what I am hoping to do. I have never hatched eggs before. For a first timer, should I buy a brooder, or let the hens do it? And is there a perfect time of year to try? Like Spring?

I just bought an incubator and made my own brooder. You never know when a hen is going to go broody. Best time for possible hatch is spring. Most fertile eggs offered.

[COLOR=0000CD]Hello Flowerbh...I take it, based on your post that you sell eggs. I have given many-many dozens of eggs away. I'm thinking about selling eggs this year. We have only ever had BO's but I have 25 ISA browns scheduled to arrive the 1st of march. Are there any special rules I should know about...? Thanks![/COLOR]

If you sell eggs away from your home (like at a farmers market or even to take them to someone) you need an egg candlers license. Contact the GA Dept. of Agriculture and sign up for the free class. You will be given tons of pages to read and then you take a test. You will also have to candle eggs. If you only want to sell a few and people come to your house to pick them up, you don't need a license. I think you should get one no matter what. You will learn a ton of information about eggs!

If you sell eggs away from your home (like at a farmers market or even to take them to someone) you need an egg candlers license. Contact the GA Dept. of Agriculture and sign up for the free class. You will be given tons of pages to read and then you take a test. You will also have to candle eggs. If you only want to sell a few and people come to your house to pick them up, you don't need a license. I think you should get one no matter what. You will learn a ton of information about eggs!
This is a very dumb question....
Why do you need to candle eggs for consumption? I am slightly embarrassed to ask, but I'm new!

Back
Top Bottom