YO GEORGIANS! :)

So you all know we are getting goats. Between all the rain and the friend who said he would come over to help not showing up, we are still way far from finished with the goat house and fencing. But here is a sneak peek.

Added the steps and deck today. Will be putting more dirt at the bottom of the stairs. Off the right of the deck, I would like to build them a swing bridge that will cross over the small gully to the right of their house.

Nice work and y'all are off to a great start, especially considering all the rain we've been having in GA!

Lisa is off work for the next five days, and it looks like are going to have a decent stretch of good whether, so I hope get my shed-conversion coop finished. So far I've re-framed the entryway, and modified a screen door I bought at HD. I had to chop it down 8 inches, and
I was able to use my biscuit-plate-joiner power tool to reassemble the modified door. The joiner worked great, and I'm pleased with the results, so that was fun. I also bought a couple of rolls of sheet linoleum flooring cheap from someone on OfferUp, so I plan to use one of the rolls as flooring in the coop. That gets installed tomorrow.

The coop is 10'x12' with an gabled roof and an 8' peak, so I'm building two levels on the inside with nesting boxes on each level. The nesting boxes will essentially be angled, covered frames that hold plastic rectangular tubs that I can pop in and out for easy cleaning. One other thing that I'm considering doing is jacking up the coop three feet so that the underside of the coop can be used as an extra covered-run area. The coop is on a skid, so I should be able to do that fairly easily, but I'm still just thinking about it.

If I can complete the coop this week, then next week I'm going in with t-posts, 2x4 welded-wire fencing, with poultry wire and plastic netting on the inside of the welded-wire fence. After spotting that fox going after my chickens last week, I've also decided that I'm installing an electric fence wire around the perimeter of our entire poultry area which is about 150' x 150'.

That is so cool!!! Your goats are going to have the sweetest digs around!

Their chickens already do, so why no the goats too!?...lol

In Dahlonega, the going rate at the farmers market is $5 a dozen. At Dawsonville, it is $4 a dozen. Make sure you have your Candler's License if you are planning to sell them away from your home. My chickens totally pay for their own feed. (But, I also use coupons) I don't buy the cheapest feed, but I don't buy organic either. Hope you can work it out!

My Candler's License finally arrived via email today. I was wondering if it was ever going to get here. Even though we took the class the same day, I'm not sure if Lisa got hers yet. Since Christopher is under 18, he cannot obtain a Candler's License. He's not too happy about that since he took the class...lol

Oh.......... nope can't do it,
@livhatcher

I think I'm gonna call my Beil, Johnny in remembrance of John Boy, tell the kids the babies are so friendly, I love being able to pick them up and @ShadesofSable the ones I got from you are fitting right in all the babies are. I actually go to sit with the the other night and since this is a 3 day weekend I get to spend more time with them in the yard. Oh look what I have in my carport. A barn swallow?

View attachment 707877
not a good pic I didn't want to scare her again, but her nest has really grown and I keep out during the day as she gets scared easily but snuck in tonight. Her guy was there during the day
Glad to hear the babies are doing well! Very cool on the barn swallow, too! I've never seen one before.

Is there anything I can feed my chicks and soon to be laying hens that will satisy both of their needs...any combos or whatever. They are all in the coop together
Funny thing is that when I put out both layer pellets and chick starter, the hens go for the starter and the chicks go for the pellets. It's fine if you continue to feed starter to all the birds while you still have chicks, and then supplement the hen's diets with oyster shell or crushed eggshell.

Funny thing is that when I put out both layer pellets and chick starter, the hens go for the starter and the chicks go for the pellets. It's fine if you continue to feed starter to all the birds while you still have chicks, and then supplement the hen's diets with oyster shell or crushed eggshell.
x2

Candled the eggs. Removed 9 so far. Either super clear or blood rings. A few don't have veins but look cloudy so left them in. Some of my own blue eggs were dudes. Sorry if you got some of those. Anyway, now have room for all in the turner. In a few days, we will be 1/3 the way thru the hatch!

Anyone interested in two male Runner Ducks? I will be selling the two white and fawn ones. One has a great stance! Almost tilting backwards! They are about 6-7 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom