YO GEORGIANS! :)

@sue25 Here's a chick that hatched from Honey's egg (the tiny bantam frizzle I got from you). No clue who the father is since I had way too many males in the pen at the time. The orange silkie I got turned out to be a cockerel too. So no silkies for me right now. Oh well. At least Honey's cute and she made a pretty baby.View attachment 1384102 View attachment 1384102
Awww so cute. I'm sorry they all turned out to be roos.The ones I kept were roos too with the exception of the paint frizzle. Hoping I get more girls this year. I've hatched 40 chicks this Spring some of them have to be pullets. Most of them are silkies but some of them are Satns and Sizzles. Unfortunately Silkies are very hard to sex early. I thought for sure the buff one was pullet. When I sell them now I simply sell them as straight run no guarantees. But after four or five months they usually do something. However I have a five month old cockeral that hasn't crowed yet to my knowledge. He stands up straight and shows rooish behavior with a thick comb. Go figure.
The only silkies that are not hard to sex are the partridge because males and females are different colors. I have a couple of partridge pullets in this year's hatch do you want any partridge silkie pullets?

Last edited:
Awww so cute. I'm sorry they all turned out to be roos.The ones I kept were roos too with the exception of the paint frizzle. Hoping I get more girls this year. I've hatched 40 chicks this Spring some of them have to be pullets. Most of them are silkies but some of them are Satns and Sizzles. Unfortunately Silkies are very hard to sex early. I thought for sure the buff one was pullet. When I sell them now I simply sell them as straight run no guarantees. But after four or five months they usually do something. However I have a five month old cockeral that hasn't crowed yet to my knowledge. He stands up straight and shows rooish behavior with a thick comb. Go figure.
The only silkies that are not hard to sex are the partridge because males and females are different colors. I have a couple of partridge pullets in this year's hatch do you want any partridge silkie pullets?

Not right now. You're pretty far from me. I was tricked by one of my own showgirls. Almost a year old and it finally started sprouting streamers and a mulberry comb and a bad attitude, plus started humping everyone. I thought forever it was a female. First time I was wrong on one of my own.

This new chick is the softest and fluffiest chick ever. I'm kinda hoping that splash cockerel I got from you is the father. It'd be the cutest chicken ever. Not that Honey can really be beat for that spot.

I need help with a Cochin,
My bantam Cochin is broody and has been for 2 months. My parents are going mad and I don’t think I can fix it.

Btw I’m back from collage

I need help with a Cochin,
My bantam Cochin is broody and has been for 2 months. My parents are going mad and I don’t think I can fix it.

Btw I’m back from collage
I broke my broody cochin by blocking off her nest boxes, after throwing her out of the nest. I kept the nests blocked off until I found an egg in the coop. This might not work all the time, I've had hens make their nests on the ground.

The problem is she makes nests. when you block her she just loafs up stays there for hours.

I have to give her a bath (she covered in poop) do you think that will help?

If it was me hatching eggs, the chances are high. I always get boys when I want girls and girls when I want boys. Speaking of cornish cross, I just processed two of mine that were about 3 months old. Holy cow was I impressed. I processed a cream legbar and a barnevelder rooster that the same time that were six or seven months and they weren't even close to as meaty as the cornish cross. Now I'm looking for some cornish and some plymouth rock to breed out my own. I read about an easier way to process too, which is just cut the breast and legs off, leaving everything else intact. I throw all the rest to the pigs and they have a field day. I turn the feet into dried dog treats. If I had a plucker, I'd probably leave some whole.

Cornish cross on left, cream legbar on right, both cockerelsView attachment 1384112
You're not feeding them cornish X right. When I let mine go for 3 months their the size of a turkey! 8 weeks is all it takes.

Back
Top Bottom