YO GEORGIANS! :)

I was just thinking the same thing! The storm is supposed to start here in a couple of hours...I have two incubators running. Worst case scenario I do have a broody hen that I may have to overload with eggs, lol.
Where I live the power is sketchy a lot of the time (Alabama, you know!) I have a little thing-a-ma-bob that plugs into my truck’s cigarette lighter. (Showing my age here. It’s a power port or something like that now. :rolleyes:) Anyway, you can plug a regular 110v plug into it and wah-lah, electricity. I have used it many times for my incubator. Works like a charm and isn’t very expensive.

ETA: sorry, I should have read a little further on. @livhatcher already mentioned this.

I'm from Georgia but moved to Florida about 8 years ago and I still live close to the Georgia/Florida border. Once a Dawg, always a Dawg.
Anyway, here is an interesting/wary post for everyone to read: I believe this person lives in the McRae area.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/thoughts.1349402/

I never really know what to say on those threads other than I try really hard to prevent illness in my own flock and have so far been successful. :idunno I've been really fortunate. I have a hen that seems to get sour crop once a year but other than that I don't even wear the same clothes that I wore when going to friend's houses that also have chickens, and now I hatch all of the chicks that I add to my flock personally so I know exactly what I'm putting in there. I also sell some of the chicks so I like to know for sure that I'm offering healthy chicks and chickens to people BUT even though I didn't completely finish reading through everyone's comments on the thread I will say that I don't feel we have all the control over what our chickens come in contact with even though I try really really hard. Especially here in Georgia, surrounded by trees and wild animals. Squirrels help themselves to the chicken food often and wild birds visit the yard that my chickens free range...so I think that it's inevitable that you eventually deal with something. It's just a matter of when and how you choose to deal with it when it happens.

I never really know what to say on those threads other than I try really hard to prevent illness in my own flock and have so far been successful. :idunno I've been really fortunate. I have a hen that seems to get sour crop once a year but other than that I don't even wear the same clothes that I wore when going to friend's houses that also have chickens, and now I hatch all of the chicks that I add to my flock personally so I know exactly what I'm putting in there. I also sell some of the chicks so I like to know for sure that I'm offering healthy chicks and chickens to people BUT even though I didn't completely finish reading through everyone's comments on the thread I will say that I don't feel we have all the control over what our chickens come in contact with even though I try really really hard. Especially here in Georgia, surrounded by trees and wild animals. Squirrels help themselves to the chicken food often and wild birds visit the yard that my chickens free range...so I think that it's inevitable that you eventually deal with something. It's just a matter of when and how you choose to deal with it when it happens.
I agree with you CluckNDoodle and it sounds like you do your best to practice biosecurity.
Birds that free range are more susceptible to predators than diseases.

I had a flock of Robins land on my property when I lived in Camden county. My birds free ranged and it was about a month later I was seeing tapeworm segments in some of my birds feces. I never had a problem with tapeworms until the Robins arrived. Of course my birds were eating insects which were the host for the tapeworms. The battle was on thereafter.
I've dealt with a fungal issue before, but never have had a respiratory disease in any of my flocks and I intend to keep it that way. I keep my birds penned due to the predators around here.

I agree with you CluckNDoodle and it sounds like you do your best to practice biosecurity.
Birds that free range are more susceptible to predators than diseases.

I had a flock of Robins land on my property when I lived in Camden county. My birds free ranged and it was about a month later I was seeing tapeworm segments in some of my birds feces. I never had a problem with tapeworms until the Robins arrived. Of course my birds were eating insects which were the host for the tapeworms. The battle was on thereafter.
I've dealt with a fungal issue before, but never have had a respiratory disease in any of my flocks and I intend to keep it that way. I keep my birds penned due to the predators around here.
I always say to stay humble because you never know when something will happen to your flock. I have had 2 incidences of coccidiosis in over 4 years of raising chickens. We live in GA, and sometimes conditions are just right for it. The weather will be too wet, muggy, and gross which creates an ideal environment for stuff to grow in. The strain of cocci that your birds have may not be the same as the chicks or breeders you just bought. It is one of the most depressing things I have had to cope with--the obsessive cleaning, medicating, trying to save birds, etc... The chicken life is not for the faint of heart.

Darn, I missed it. Probably a good thing. XD naa I’m happy with my flock. I just wanted to see if my BF want to go since he been so open and caring about my chickens. I wanted him to see the self-control one must have to go haha.
I ended up not being able to go this year. We got a new puppy Wednesday and my daugher flew in on Friday for the weekend. All she wanted to do was play with the puppy. We didn't want to take the puppy to the show, so we just stayed home. I have Marans and funky frizzled NN eggs coming for next week to hatch while my sisters are all here in March. Should also be having baby goats then too!

How are you doing? Are you all done with college? Come and visit and bring BF!

Hey there, I’m from NW GA. I’m in search of some show/breeder quality Silkies in GA or surrounding states, if you have any leads feel free to PM me!

Anyone in north georgia going to be hatching any baby ducklings soon? I’m looking to add two ducks to my flock. Day olds because they’ll be going in the brooder with my 4 week old chicks. Breeds i’m interested in: welsh harlequin, blue or black swedish, cayuga, ancona or magpie or anything lavender! Thought i’d take my chances here. I know Tractor Supply has chick days soon but doubt they’d have any i’m interested in.

Back
Top Bottom