YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hey y'all...A little pre-Easter crisis here. Neighbor dog busted into our yard today and killed my littlest child's favorite bird. Does anyone have a connection in the middle GA area who might have a white silkie hen or started pullet they would sell? Feeling kind of desperate. Any leads appreciated.

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this! I only know people with Silkies in this neck of the woods. :(

It’s pretty nice here. Still slightly humid but not as bad as it was yesterday after it rained. It’s saying it will be in the 40s tomorrow night and I have 5 and 6 week old chicks outside. Will they be okay you think? I know 60s is fine for them and even high 50s but they haven’t experienced 40s at this age. Why is GA so weird with the weather? I may put a heat lamp, haven’t decided yet.

At 5-6 weeks old they'll be perfectly fine as long as they have somewhere draft free to sleep. How many do you have? They cuddle up to keep warm too so naturally more of them are warmer together.

At 5-6 weeks old they'll be perfectly fine as long as they have somewhere draft free to sleep. How many do you have? They cuddle up to keep warm too so naturally more of them are warmer together.

I have a total of 21. 6 are 6 weeks old and 15 are 5 weeks old.

I’ll spend today checking for drafts then. Thanks!

They have been outside for a while now, so they’re acclimated, I was just worried about 40 degree weather but I even worry about my adults getting cold in 30 degree weather. But I realized how well insulated they are when I picked one of them up and was like wow their feathers and fluff is like a blanket!!

I have a total of 21. 6 are 6 weeks old and 15 are 5 weeks old.

I’ll spend today checking for drafts then. Thanks!

They have been outside for a while now, so they’re acclimated, I was just worried about 40 degree weather but I even worry about my adults getting cold in 30 degree weather. But I realized how well insulated they are when I picked one of them up and was like wow their feathers and fluff is like a blanket!!

They will definitely be fine if there's that many to huddle! 40° isn't actually very cold to chickens and it's not going to be all night when there is a low of 40 so that's something to consider too. It might only be that cold for a couple hours. At 5-6 weeks old they have plenty of feathers to fluff up and stay warm. They trap little pockets of hot air when they fluff up.

Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric
12. poohevans
13. mattmatt's-momma
14. newnanchic
15. soonerdog
16. bargain
17. asa
18. key west chick
19. rays123
20. Granolamom
21. Lupa
22. PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter
23. AnnMarie12
24. GaDawg
25. 2chickenrich
26. embkm
27. Los Pollitos
29. katrek
30. oegblady
31. spotnapp
32. teresac
33. Lmarie
34. speckledhen (MOD= 5 pts!)
35. dawg53
36. featherfooted
37. Hellvagirl

POINTS COLLECTED:
41. Wow!
ya.gif
So Many!
yippiechickie.gif
Me!

It’s pretty nice here. Still slightly humid but not as bad as it was yesterday after it rained. It’s saying it will be in the 40s tomorrow night and I have 5 and 6 week old chicks outside. Will they be okay you think? I know 60s is fine for them and even high 50s but they haven’t experienced 40s at this age. Why is GA so weird with the weather? I may put a heat lamp, haven’t decided yet.
I would put a lamp out there, just to be safe.

Edit: just read how many you have. One night should be fine if we were going to have a snow storm or something like that I would say heat lamp lol.

I would put a lamp out there, just to be safe.

Edit: just read how many you have. One night should be fine if we were going to have a snow storm or something like that I would say heat lamp lol.

Oh yeah if it was a whole night of freezing cold weather I would put a heat lamp even if there were 21. But so far the cold temperatures are only for a few hours and it’s usually right before sunrise and then it warms up. But tomorrow I’ll be able to see a better timeline of the cold temperatures to make a better decision.

We decided to add the heat lamp for tonight. Their temporary housing isn’t very warm. It’s already in the 50s now and will get to the 40s later tonight and stay pretty chilly til tomorrow at 10am. I’m sure they would have been fine but it gives me peace of mind since they’re still tiny in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom