YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hello,

I moved to GA about 8 years ago. Prior to that, we were in WA and had chickens.
We are getting back into them this year. My concern is the heat.
I know there are certain chickens recommended for hot climates, but do others do okay as well? I haven't narrowed down exactly which breed I want.

I have had good luck keeping the heavier fluffy breeds alongside my lightweight chickens. My flock has proven to do much better than some of my local friend's flocks though and I really think it's from the amount of shade they have.
Set up their coop and run under a tree canopy. Trees significantly cool the area protected under their canopy in the summer. A roof helps but trees offer ten times the protection from heat.

I have had good luck keeping the heavier fluffy breeds alongside my lightweight chickens. My flock has proven to do much better than some of my local friend's flocks though and I really think it's from the amount of shade they have.
Set up their coop and run under a tree canopy. Trees significantly cool the area protected under their canopy in the summer. A roof helps but trees offer ten times the protection from heat.
Yes. Tons of shade and plenty of cool water seem to be key. And I built my coop so in spring-fall I can have 2 of the walls totally hardware cloth so they get a great cross breeze. I cover one in winter.

Hello,

I moved to GA about 8 years ago. Prior to that, we were in WA and had chickens.
We are getting back into them this year. My concern is the heat.
I know there are certain chickens recommended for hot climates, but do others do okay as well? I haven't narrowed down exactly which breed I want.
Hello,

Ours did fine last summer: welsummer, buff orpington, green queen, silkie, easter eggers and brahmas. FYI, we have a hoop coop. 2/3 covered with tarp.

HTH,

L

I've decided on an Americauna, Cinnamon Queen, Blue Australorp, and White Leghorn. I'll see how these do and if they do well, I'll have husband enlarge the coop next year! He had rotator cuff surgery in December, so he can't really do much in the way of construction this year. I'd love to have more, but am starting small. I also need to see how noisy this group is as I live in a neighborhood. We have a lot of space between us as we're on 1.3 acres, so I'm not too worried. I had one hen who thought she was a rooster when I lived in Washington.

I can’t remember if I posted about this here but I had some sick chickens and I decided to get one tested. It was positive for mg, ms, & coryza. ☹️ I decided to cull the whole flock and start over with healthy birds after waiting 8 weeks. (Recommended by the GPL since I free range and can’t disinfect everything.)

Anyway, since shipping is pretty hard on chicks, I've looked at the distances to McMurray, Meyer, Hoover, ideal, and cackle. Are there any big hatcheries that I’m missing? I would really love to have Naked Necks again so that will probably limit my choices.

I can’t remember if I posted about this here but I had some sick chickens and I decided to get one tested. It was positive for mg, ms, & coryza. ☹️ I decided to cull the whole flock and start over with healthy birds after waiting 8 weeks. (Recommended by the GPL since I free range and can’t disinfect everything.)

Anyway, since shipping is pretty hard on chicks, I've looked at the distances to McMurray, Meyer, Hoover, ideal, and cackle. Are there any big hatcheries that I’m missing? I would really love to have Naked Necks again so that will probably limit my choices.
Theres the Mad Hatchery. Think it’s near Macon, and they don’t ship. You have to pick up. IF I am remembering right…but pretty sure thats why I ruled them out for myself. But check my info- I don’t trust my memory.

I've decided on an Americauna, Cinnamon Queen, Blue Australorp, and White Leghorn. I'll see how these do and if they do well, I'll have husband enlarge the coop next year! He had rotator cuff surgery in December, so he can't really do much in the way of construction this year. I'd love to have more, but am starting small. I also need to see how noisy this group is as I live in a neighborhood. We have a lot of space between us as we're on 1.3 acres, so I'm not too worried. I had one hen who thought she was a rooster when I lived in Washington.
I'd like you to look at bielefelder and neiderrheiners as well, and let me know what you think. We picked up five of each and they are doing well here.

Back
Top Bottom