Yoga Fanatics?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I don't know why I didn't bring this up previously? I was wondering who else was taking yoga classes, or an avid practicer, OR is interested in starting? I would like to hear about your experience, what you think, how you feel and how it works into your life.

I joined a class in May last year.
I hated it and wanted to quit after 2 classes.
My husband reminded me I promised to really 'try' and that I need to find something I could stick with at the gym since I quit smoking. By about week 4 and after weeks of body aches I finally could touch my toes for the first time since I was a kid (I'm not even sure I could touch my toes then). Now I can go through 2 classes a week without being massively sore. I am close to finally getting into lotus pose (the crossing your legs indian style with your feet turned in upside down ON your inner thigh), again, ALMOST!
big_smile.png

Last week, my biggest achievement yet, I could do a head stand! I've never in my life been able to do that.

Also, I'm on a diet and working out.... I've gone from 179 lbs as of January to 173 last week. I think Yoga made a huge difference.

I have to say I'm in a VERY diverse class as well.... it is NOT full of skinny white women, which my friends say is who Yoga is for, so everyone should really try it at least once. I even got my 300 lb 60 year old father to come with me twice, I doubt he'll go again... but I'm so proud of him for trying.
big_smile.png

Been practicing for 14 years now, 3 times a week. I have solid core muscles and kept the ability to do intricate dance routines after 2 children. I've been teaching yoga and dance for the last year, and provided no perminant damage from an auto accident in Jan, I'll be doing choreography a few more years.

Well that is awesome! I'm hoping to do this for a long time to come. I'm just so happy to see such a great number of issues resolved since I took this up.

That also includes a bad cramping muscle I used to have to put heating pads on every other week. I would get stressed or pick something up, like my daughter, and the muscle would just hurt for DAYS. This was a common monthly thing, it seemed to be never ending... even got massages and muscle relaxers over the years to help. Within a month of taking up yoga, I've only had pain there 1 time! That was after I had the flu and missed class for 3 weeks.

Let me think, I did yoga for several months a couple years ago. I really enjoyed it, it kept me fit and I was very limber. I was practicing yoga daily in the winter months, but when spring rolled around I became so busy with the animals and the garden and everything else that I stopped. I would like to start again, but now I'm using an exercise bike daily and have gotten used to that. Who knows, maybe I'll start up again. It's worth the time and effort!

No I'm just wondering, but does anyone do it for their digestive health? I keep getting told how wonderful it is for that, and compared to these drinks and yogurts, this is the way to go!

I personally have found it has helped my breathing, a lot! As I was a smoking for 15 years before I joined, that makes a world of difference for me.

Back
Top Bottom