1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yogurt, how to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by emimiller8, Feb 24, 2013.

1. emimiller8

emimiller8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    What is best way to feed chickens yogurt? In a bowl the don't seem to get it all?

2. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    I use a top off of an old butter tub or something like that, the flatter the better.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I use an old pie tin.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    The shallow rectangular cake pans work great for yogurt,oatmeal,spagetti and lots of things. We get the metal ones at Goodwill or the flea markets for a buck or two.

The main thing is to get the pan set down and RUN LIKE CRAZY! They can throw that stuff several feet when they attack it!

5. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    I put mine directly on the ground in the run

6. emimiller8

emimiller8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    How much yogurt should chickens eat? I read that it should be fed in moderation. How much is that? They love the stuff so I like giving it to them.

7. omeletlover

omeletlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Rural New Hampshire
    I mix yourt with the feed so that it isn't as messy. I mix 3 cups of feed and 32 oz. of whole milk yogurt in a bowl, stir well, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Once it's in a paste consistancy I stir it again & place it is shallow reused take-out containers. This is enough for a nice treat for my 26 hens and they LOVE IT! Sometimes I warm it up in the microwave for those bitter cold New Hampshire mornings.

8. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

so is it good to feed yogurt 3 time a week to the hens or not?? and is there a kind i should not feed like raspberry or peach yogurt?

9. swga

swga Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    I usually feed plain yogurt, but if I have an old flavored yogurt that gets 'lost' in the abyss of the fridge, they get that too. Those I just peel the container open, set it down, and stand back! The plain yogurt comes in a big tub, so I just spoon some into a nice shallow bowl.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I just toss it in a bowl i have a bunch of livestock rubber type they peck that bowl clean, i usually sprinkle it with there feed. Mine like plain best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by