Yogurt???

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Just curious - I have been raising part-time backyard chickens for about 2-3 years now. Had to stop a few months due to relocating. Now I have 18 baby chicks that are 3 weeks old today. On a side note - ordered them from Welp Hatchery and so far we have had a great experience. Now to the yogurt. I just now read today that chickens love yogurt. My questions (although they may sound stupid) are: how old do they need to be before I start treating them to yogurt and does it matter what flavor? Thanks in advance for any replies.
smile.png

I personally don't feed anything until they are 5 weeks old (they eat chick starter) I'm sure yogurt would be good for them! I've always fed plain yogurt.

They can have yogurt at a week old!!!! Just dab some PLAIN unsweetened Greek yogurt on your finger and the little fuzzies will instantly love yogurt-finger!!!! At 3 weeks their little beaks are stronger so the yogurt can go in a little dish if they nip too hard.

PLAIN Greek yogurt is a LOT better for them than the sweetened or flavored stuff! Nostimo or The Greek Goods or Cabot Greek are good brands.

They LOVE it and "yogurt time" is a great way to bond with the chicks!!!! It's a little childish but it's SO fun!!!!!! When they grow up they will come running when you go to the henhouse....knowing that you have yummy stuff for them!!!

Visit your local dairy section!!
wee.gif
wee.gif

PS I forgot to mention that the rationale behind the yogurt is to get GOOD bacteria in their gut to build natural immunity while raising the little ones on non-medicated chick starter.

Nevertheless, feeding yogurt (in small quantities just enough for them to eat for a few minutes) is lots of fun!!!!

Quote:
Yes, I started mine on yogurt from week 1 and they love, love, love it. I only feed plain unsweetened yogurt. I wouldn't feed chickens anything with added sugar but that's just me, maybe. you can add some cut up grapes or pieces of apple, but mine always liked it just plain. I now make my own yogurt, which is way easier than i thought it would be.

For some real fun, as they get older, fill up a shallow container with the plain yogurt and stand back. They will just about dip their whole heads in the bowl. They come up with face fulls of it! And then they shake their heads. The yogurt goes flying every where! It is so hilarious and they just love it.

Ditto Chickengrandma - mine, after eating it, will come up to me and wipe their beaks on my pants (gee, thanks) and dive right back in. Yogurt and cottage cheese a truly chicken faves. And very funny to watch them eat. (And when it is done they will look for and pick the spatters off each other...)

Thanks for all the info. I will be a first time chick mom, hatch date feb 27th.
I didn't know I could feed them a snack so young. I can't wait to feed them
Yogurt finger ! I want to bond with them and that sounds like a good way.
Do you guys feed medicated or non medicated starter ? I can't decide which.

wow. never thought of that. ill try it if i get chicks this year.
yippiechickie.gif
:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick

Back
Top Bottom