Yokes that explode, grit (?) in egg.

kdj461

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 23, 2014
One of my chickens has always laid slightly off look eggs. Recently though, they’re bad. She’s only been laying since March. She’s a cream crusted Legbar. Her eggs have a yoke that pops when you crack it, and not like a normal egg when you puncture it with the shell accidentally. The yoke looks super watery and odd. Sometimes the yoke will be hole but it has this white grit like stuff in the white. She also sometimes has this odd speck of something that’s an odd shade of green floating in it.
8B4FB494-8DEC-4EF1-9AE5-73B33E17AF26.jpeg

Hopefully you can see the odd white stuff floating near my finger. It’s in all her eggs now!
56322A25-3792-4EB4-861B-8745A40130F5.jpeg

The green thing is where my finger is.
4B2EE740-2A35-4158-8D70-D7C1980135CE.jpeg

This one here and the next two pictures are all her eggs from the last 2-3 weeks. Probably 9 eggs. My mom was just going to fix them for the chickens but she ended up throwing it away, because it looks that odd.
772074F9-4319-4104-A717-5597CA723F24.jpeg
B770F978-0EC5-4371-8F3D-234043D387C2.jpeg

What could be wrong with her?

The first two eggs look normal.

How exactly do you store your eggs and what exactly do you feed your flock?
Also, have you ever had a respiratory disease pass through your flock?

The first two eggs look normal.

How exactly do you store your eggs and what exactly do you feed your flock?
Also, have you ever had a respiratory disease pass through your flock?
They look normal but they all have a piece of green grit in them and also clear/white grit as well. Never seen anything like that in an egg before.
We keep them in egg baskets or cartons and at 3 weeks if they haven’t sold or been ate yet, we put them in the fridge. We haven’t had issues with any eggs going bad. Except whatever is wrong with hers.
We feed them the Purina layer pellets, They get scratch everyday as a treat, and worms as well. Give them chicken friendly grass/greens almost everyday and fruit and vegetable scraps, whenever possible. Also give them their egg shells, whenever possible. Need to get calcium so they have access to it 24/7.
She’s only been laying since March. But her first eggs didn’t have any of this weird stuff in them. And none were doing the exploding yoke thing, where the yoke is very runny.
Not that I know of, but back in December both her and her sister had kinda gunky noses for a while, but none of our others did. And we weren’t sure if it was anything actually wrong with them or just the cold. But it went away with nothing happening to the rest of them, so we figured it was just that maybe their breed isn’t as cold hardy.

Yikes. I’m following to see if anyone has an answer for you.

How old is the pullet/hen that is laying those?
She’s close to a year. Started laying on March 4th. Her first egg didnt have a shell.

They look normal but they all have a piece of green grit in them and also clear/white grit as well. Never seen anything like that in an egg before.
We keep them in egg baskets or cartons and at 3 weeks if they haven’t sold or been ate yet, we put them in the fridge. We haven’t had issues with any eggs going bad. Except whatever is wrong with hers.
We feed them the Purina layer pellets, They get scratch everyday as a treat, and worms as well. Give them chicken friendly grass/greens almost everyday and fruit and vegetable scraps, whenever possible. Also give them their egg shells, whenever possible. Need to get calcium so they have access to it 24/7.
She’s only been laying since March. But her first eggs didn’t have any of this weird stuff in them. And none were doing the exploding yoke thing, where the yoke is very runny.
Not that I know of, but back in December both her and her sister had kinda gunky noses for a while, but none of our others did. And we weren’t sure if it was anything actually wrong with them or just the cold. But it went away with nothing happening to the rest of them, so we figured it was just that maybe their breed isn’t as cold hardy.
A few things...
1. I would refrigerate the eggs immediately.
2. I'd stop all of the feeding of extras/treats immediately.
You are not doing your birds any favors by feeding them so many extras.
Everything that you feed them besides the complete balance commercially made chicken feed is 'extras.'. These things take away from her diet being balanced They also can cause her to become overweight. Overweight chickens are not healthy and they will have laying issues.

I had lots of "meat spots" in my eggs. Also used to get little black crunchy specks at times from one of the hens. So much I stopped eating her eggs. Then I switched from store bought feed crumbles to mash feed from a feed mill and after a couple weeks the eggs are perfect. I also switched to a non soy feed. The shells have become perfect. 8 eggs out of 9 pullets almost every day.
What feed do they get?

Back
Top Bottom